• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tired of seeing self proclaimed "Pro's!"

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
Quick rant, thats all. chime in anytime. This came about after reading the "facebook group' thread and the misinformation that is going around.

I like things. Knives, edc gear, etc. and I see things that I would like to have by people I have never heard of. but then I go look at the...knife...let's say and its $500+. for a pocket knife. you've got to be kidding. I understand the "get what you pay for" idea. but this is foolish. professional custom knife makers popping up everywhere. Listen, if your a collector its one thing, and I mean extreme knife collector. but let's face it, other than a fantastic utility type knife (which you can pick up from $20-100), IF you ever have to use that blade in the intent that could cause harm, the knife will be collected for evidence. unless your a soldier in the business of killing

and that goes for cameras too. technology has made nice cameras readily available to the average Joe. and with ZERO photography experience at all, you too can own Shambala Photography.

mass production has ruined the "collectability" of things. if you find something, a headlight swap, a riggers belt, a pair of boots, there is so much crap out there its difficult to know the difference between quality and junk. everything is made out of the country, and purchased online. you rarely can see a working model of something. and likely have nothing to compare your new purchase to. then the return process is likely a pain in the ass to boot.

just saying.

Quick rant, thats all. chime in anytime. This came about after reading the "facebook group' thread and the misinformation that is going around.

I like things. Knives, edc gear, etc. and I see things that I would like to have by people I have never heard of. but then I go look at the...knife...let's say and its $500+. for a pocket knife. you've got to be kidding. I understand the "get what you pay for" idea. but this is foolish. professional custom knife makers popping up everywhere. Listen, if your a collector its one thing, and I mean extreme knife collector. but let's face it, other than a fantastic utility type knife (which you can pick up from $20-100), IF you ever have to use that blade in the intent that could cause harm, the knife will be collected for evidence. unless your a soldier in the business of killing

and that goes for cameras too. technology has made nice cameras readily available to the average Joe. and with ZERO photography experience at all, you too can own Shambala Photography.

mass production has ruined the "collectability" of things. if you find something, a headlight swap, a riggers belt, a pair of boots, there is so much crap out there its difficult to know the difference between quality and junk. everything is made out of the country, and purchased online. you rarely can see a working model of something. and likely have nothing to compare your new purchase to. then the return process is likely a pain in the ass to boot.

just saying.

But with the miracle of the internet we have a great research tool for such things. I'm not gonna buy a $500 knife to carry every day so I researched and found that SOG knives suit my needs. Not $5 walmart junk and no $500 nonsense. As you can see, the forum atmosphere has a lot less tard going around.

just saying.

You got all that from a bunch of idiots on a Facebook group?

The photography thing is dead on the truth. I bet there's 300 "Professional Photographers" in my little town.

Yea, that photography thing.... My buddy had a website called "you suck at wedding photography" but I think he took it down. I see people paying money for crap all the time. I usually do a couple weddings over the summer for quick $$

I haven't done any paid gigs since I don't think my stuff is all that great yet but I see pictures all the time that people paid good money for and I KNOW I could have done way better.

Is this 3 rants squished into one?

My sister's wedding photographer said she got into it because people liked her photos on facebook.

Unsurprisingly her work was crap it was kind of like a "spray and pray" of the photography world by her and her "assistant". Good thing those DSLR's can compensate for shitty in a lot of cases.

Back