• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire weight

I have some Truxus MTs in 265/75R15 and BFG MT (not KM) in 35x12.5x15 (unmounted) in the barn. Also have some bare ARE-767 (15x8) as well.

I'll weigh them and post tomorrow. I'm too lazy currently and it's raining here. Gives me an excuse to pick up a "garage scale" while in the city tomorrow instead of lugging the wife's bathroom scale out there. LOL

r@m

One of the guys in my club swears by this stuff (brand name specific - can be gotten at most truck stops apparently):

http://www.counteractbalancing.com

He uses it on the 35s on his TLC FJ70.

I'm going to give it a go with my new Truxuseses (Truxi?).

r@m

golf balls work, only complaint I had was when stopping and my passenger always asked "what was that?" as they hit off the inside of the wheel.

BIGWOODY said:
golf balls work, only complaint I had was when stopping and my passenger always asked "what was that?" as they hit off the inside of the wheel.
i have never heard them hitting the wheel, on road or off. sometimes at low speed you can hear them rolling in the bottom.

BrettM said:
35x12.50r15 MTR, 70% tread, on 15x10 steel wheel with 5 golf-balls inside = 92 pounds

same MTR unmounted = 57 pounds (therefore 15x10 steel wheel = 35)

33x12.50r15 BFG LongTrail (very similar to AT) on 15x8 steel wheel = 69 pounds

I just weighed an unmounted 315/75R16 with 95% tread, 62lbs. So basically the same weight between C load & D load ratings.
16X8 Campion beadlock is therefore 23lbs.

37X12.50R16 Creepy Crawler on a Champion beadlock, 105lbs.

Paul

Paul

XJZ said:
How heavy are the 17" Champion beadlocks? Walker Evans are something like 45 lbs. each. :scared: Those are some heavy rollers!

I know both come into play here , but doesn't the larger diameter/leverage have more of an effect on breaking axles compared to the actual weight of the wheel/tire?

I'm using the same wheels for weights, MT Classic 2's W/Champions, the only difference is the size. I'm sure they weigh about the same.

The larger diameter probably has much more effect on breakage than the weight, but the weight difference is way more significant than I would have thought.

Paul

David Taylor said:
Wow 104 pounds more for a set. I need to start finding stuff in the jeep to do without.

OK, I understand the reduction of weight up above, but tires? Why worry about the extra hundred pounds due to the increase in tire size? :confused:

David Taylor said:
Every pound counts.
To offset the engine strain? I figured that extra weight in tires might be good as it's low to the ground and it keeps the CG down. Come on... details, I'm really curious.

BrettM said:
like he said, every pound counts. you are correct, if you must have weight, it is better to have it low, but it is better to just not have it at all.
Well but isn't there a point where you loose traction due to LACK of any substantial weight?

Kejtar said:
Well but isn't there a point where you loose traction due to LACK of any substantial weight?
no. you will have less traction, but you will also have less weight to move and therefore less force needed. lightweight is good. low weight is good. I really can't imagine a scenario where you could have too much of either.

BrettM said:
no. you will have less traction, but you will also have less weight to move and therefore less force needed. lightweight is good. low weight is good. I really can't imagine a scenario where you could have too much of either.

We're both too young to remember a certain 70's star named "Twiggy".....

CRASH

Kejtar said:

A typical response from someone who didn't fulfill his commitment to Jenny Craig.

IndyXJ said:
It'd be cool if someone had a stock tire laying around on the rim to weigh that as well. Thanks Paul! :wave:
stock tire on steelie=42 lbs.

BrettM said:
i have never heard them hitting the wheel, on road or off. sometimes at low speed you can hear them rolling in the bottom.

I can run any speed smoothly with my unbalanced MT/R's on Champion beadlocks. :) :)

Thankfully, I've never had to balance them, both 35's and 37's.

BrettM said:
both will apply. the larger the radius, the more leverage it will have on the shafts. kinda like having a 37" cheater bar vs. a 35" cheater bar.

then throw in "rotating mass".... the extra weight, centrificul (sp?) force is greater.. as is the torque which it applies..mmmmm, physics....

Back