• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire rack that works with stock bumper?

Perhaps they've got another "bone" product in R&D? Something that will replace the tailbone? Then again, what do I know.:viking:
I believe in his thread he stated that he was discontinuing the current setup as it uses xx amount of parts and a lot of fab. And that he will most likely be working on a newer improved version of it at a later time.

You could also contact Max (aka WebDog) owner of Dirtbound offroad about making you something that will work.

I'm planning on someday reworking a stock-ish tire carrier on my DD to give me cargo area more room. My plan is to reinforce the outer section of the stock bumper with internal supports to hold up the area where the stock swingout bolts to the bumper skin. If I cant find a stock carrier, I'll fab up a swingout carrier similar to it. Since I knew someday I wanted to do this, when I decided to redo my rear bumper I made sure the "stock" bumper would take the extra strain. 2x4x1/4 rect tubing done the inside of the framerails picking up the 5 bolt holes on the bottom and the 4 stock mounts on each side. Some 3/4" plate for d-ring tabs and some 2x2x1/4 square tubing to tie the two side together. Added a hitch in there too. The plan is to add some more 2x2 off the outside of the PS 2x4 mount to support the swingout. The stock bumper skin is welded to the bumper subframe throughout with some gussets in there. Im pretty sure it'll be strong enough, its much more solid out back now.

sfgzmw.jpg

29ctilw.jpg

2w6asgk.jpg

314xbog.jpg

110diwx.jpg

what is the username of the guy who owns the red jeep with tube doors? i believe he made a right up for a rocker replacement he did on his jeep but i cant seem to find it again!
the red one or the orange one?

they are both named john, the user name of the orange one is John D. i forget the user name for the other one, but he isnt on very often. john gave me some ideas for my rocker replacement, came out well.

if its just going to be used as a carrier, id feel safe with the 8 stock bolts. thats what my 3x5 bumper is bolted to. if your going to pull from it, sleeve the frame rail and make your own nut strips like foxwar71 did. thats my next project.

I believe in his thread he stated that he was discontinuing the current setup as it uses xx amount of parts and a lot of fab. And that he will most likely be working on a newer improved version of it at a later time.

You could also contact Max (aka WebDog) owner of Dirtbound offroad about making you something that will work.

That is indeed what he said in his thread here on NAXJA. Just sayin......maybe theres other info out there.

That sucks about the Tailbone being discontinued, I wonder why he didn't just raise the price..? I like it because the tire is mounted to the drivers side so you dont have to relocate your license plate (depending on tire size i guess) & you can probably actually see out of the back glass a little bit too!
There's an install write up for it & that thing looks pretty solid.. The only thing I didnt like was those "flames" or whatever on the rear brackets.. I would have busted out the torch & grinder & fixed that in a jiffy!:D

From what I understood, it wasn't about the money, it was about the time involved to build them - keeping him from keeping up with other orders, etc. Guess I got mine just in time.

Last edited:
That sucks about the Tailbone being discontinued, I wonder why he didn't just raise the price..? I like it because the tire is mounted to the drivers side so you dont have to relocate your license plate (depending on tire size i guess) & you can probably actually see out of the back glass a little bit too!
There's an install write up for it & that thing looks pretty solid.. The only thing I didnt like was those "flames" or whatever on the rear brackets.. I would have busted out the torch & grinder & fixed that in a jiffy!:D

He got rid of the flames in the later models. That's unfortunate. I have the tailbone myself and it works with my 33" tire (although barely). Mark was excellent to work with and I was happy to put money in the pocket of something made by a nice guy in the USA. He could have raised the price, but it would have gotten it much closer to the prices of full bumpers with carriers.

Crap. I got my last check to buy this bumper and A-pillar mounts yesterday and I see this today. I am currently crying inside. :tears:

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for Jeeptorino but this is what I used to have on my Jeep. Valley swing out tire carrier that bolted to the top of the bumper and also used the existing tail light bolts.

Crop01.jpg

Crop02.jpg

I wouldn't trust that to anything bigger than stock.

You're not totally off there DeftwillP. I had a 31X10.50 on it for 10+ years, but reinforced 2 key failure points to make it work.

I was going to say that it looked like a 30 or 31 but obviously no telling how long you had it there from just the pics. Reinforcement would definitely be necessary as you pointed out.

It latches to a bracket that bolts to the top of the bumper on the left and hinges to a bracket that bolts to the top of the bumper on the right. Each of the brackets also attach against/over the tail lights using three or four of the existing 10mm tail light bolts and one drilled hole on each side above the tail light (under/behind the rear gate) that accommodates a backing plate. If you want, PM me and give me your email addy and I will send you some other pictures.

Last edited:
Back