• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire question best bang for your buck...

jeepgeek2002

NAXJA Forum User
no no no. not your run of the mill what tire should i get...bs..

Im planning on running 33s instead of 35's.. after seeing how well High2by did at WR i m kinda sold on the idea of 33s..

so the question is based on best bang for the buck:
if you could get 33" off brand tires vs 33" name brand tire.. would you do it? pros vs cons.. or are there any?
Simple answer would be.. its your money you do what you want with it..

examples *tires-easy.com:
a 33x1250x15 Toyo Open Country Mt sells for $230 (6 ply rating)
a 33x1250x15 GT Radial Adventuro MT sells for $149 (6 ply rating)
a 33x1250x15 BFG KM2 sells for $200 (3 Ply Rating)
a 33x1250x15 Runaway MT sells for $140 (6 Ply Rating)

Will an off brand tire perform as good or better then a name brand tire?
a 6ply tire for $140 should be as good as Toyo or Nitto? right?
It would depend on the rubber compound i suppose..
I ve seen Mud Kings at Summit Racing.. that 2 ply is paper thin..$159
Swampers are 6-10plys.. but the cheapest 33 is an LTB and its non radial $160..

What do you all think? is this a stupid question or perhaps its 1:30 and i need to get to bed instead of thinking about tires? :laugh2:

mark

X2 on the coopers. i would have run em on my 88 if anywhere around here sold em.

I run 32" ATs & The Best all around AT I have run has also been the least expensive.
Firestone Destination A/Ts, I paid $112 each in December 09.

Mud Kings are in the process of being discontinued.

wild country mtx i just bought some and put 400 miles on them and i love em only 138 a piece for 33s

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my bighorns. Seem to be wearing well after 11,000 miles, and perform very nicely on the trail.

I think what you're looking at is tread plies, most radial MT's should have a 2-3ply sidewall and that is where most of the failures i see happen.

I have always bought into the theory that i can almost buy 2 cheap radial MT's for the price of a MTR of BFG M/T. If you're running the tire offroad there is a good chance that at least one of the 4 won't live to the end of the tread-wear.

I've had great reliability out of all the sets of super swampers i have ever had including the TSL radials. But for a really hefty sidewalled tire you have to look at tsl bias or SX's.

Both my sets of Mud kings have been a HEAVY tire and loud as hell too. remember to consider the weight of each too in the consideration. I blew out a few of the 32x15's but they were dry rotted and tread separation was the cause of 2 of the 3 failures i saw. My 16's have been good so far but still loud and heavy. admittedly i haven't wheeled them much to test the sidewalls.

I had regul mt's (BFG knock off) that I blew a sidewall in, but have seen many BFG mt's do so. never had a problem out of the Dunlop mud rovers I ran briefly either. Thw wild country's that came on my first XJ wore out FAST. I have some Bighorn spares with 0 miles on them, but they seem to be a quality mid-priced tire.

I guess all this is to say, in my experience its a SS or just another tire....:dunno:

if you notice on 1st post.. i posted 2 name brand tires and 2 off brand tires.. the off brand tires have 6ply and the only bfg has 3 ply tri-guard..
So yes.. Side wall is very important..
my question is .. would an off brand tire with 6 plys be equivilant to a 6ply name brand tire.. based on side wall plys but with less money spent?
I had 3 sets of Maxxis Big Horns on my TJ.. even had a set of Summit Mud Dawgs which are the same tire.. Great tire but they re really loud when they wear down and they wear down unevenly.. I ran Morris Mountain trails with worn 35s past wear bars..
and it climbed like a mountain goat!..

Keep on posting..
oh .. Summit had the MTX's for $108 for 33's for the longest time.. i think they re back to regualr price..

mark

yeah but the kevlars are like $240 a pop!

i have Remington Mud Brutes on my fullsize jeep. they are AWESOME! they do just as well off road as my Cooper STT's, and were about HALF the price!! i got them at the Best One tire in nashville, and payed a little under $500 for the whole set, in a 32x11.5x15 they mounted and balanced them(included in cost) and also gave me four coupons for Free oil changes! i personally wouldn't let them change the oil in my lawnmower, but the gesture was nice!(exactly 2500 miles after the first oilchange they did, my engine blew up with only 110k on the clock, i'm thinking they used the cheapest oil they could find)
either way, i'm very happy with the tires, and they were CHEAP! oh yeah, and i can hear my flowmaster 40 series over them, even at 90 mph. they're pretty quiet. i'd never heard of them, but i looked them up, and they're actually made in the goodyear factory, by goodyear, just under a different name.

Last edited:
Remington's were definately a great price but they are listed as discontinued also. Best One's parent company has almost no Remington tires of any type left in their system. They say that Kelly's will replace the Remington line (both are made by Goodyear).

is there a way to see what compound tires have. like which are softer then others..
I did some searching last night on some cheapo's tires.. some of them were positive some werent. Biggest complaint was compound was too soft and didnt get more then 25000 miles out of them..
For me 25-30k on a mt is plenty..

Mark

Back