• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire on top... bad idea

no_gamecocks

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I strapped my spare on top for the first time over the weekend for my first trip of the year to Rausch Creek (PA). Almost flopped twice during the day - once sliding down a snowy hill; the second time on the "Gauntlet." Guess I'll think of a better solution next time out.
DSCF0083.jpg

Those ltb's are heavy, especially on a steel wheel. Bring it inside and it should help.

Yeah I had set with weld on beadlocks, heavy sumbitches. Though I'm pretty sure my new tires are heavier just by themselves.

Ramsey said:
Yeah I had set with weld on beadlocks, heavy sumbitches. Though I'm pretty sure my new tires are heavier just by themselves.
my regular TSL's on steel rims weigh about 60 lbs a piece, I certainly wouldn't want that at the highest point of an XJ.

My 32x9.5x15 bias TSL's weigh 50lbs by themselves according to Interco. I have them mounted on Jeep Eccos, so that helps a little compared to a steel wheel.

I didn't bring a spare at all on the last trip. I usually throw it on the roof rack. I slid sideways on the "Hills" at Rausch Creek on the ice and snow until the driver side tires caught traction and I was on two tires for a few seconds. Had 2 guys jump on the rock rails and I carefully inched out of it. If I had put the spare on the roof, I'd have smashed the entire drivers side for sure.

I have been runnign a tire on top for years. I like it up there, nice and out of the way. The only thing i have changed was where it is on top. I moved it over the driver/passanger and my rear raised about an inch! :dunno:

I had one up top for a month or so, wasn't bad on the trail.

I wouldnt put a tire on top if I didnt have a cage, at least not over the passengers. It has been known to buckle the roof in and pin people in around here.

-Alex

I had my spare and hi-lift on the roof when I first got a roof rack. I can't wheel with that crap up there, it makes off camber pucker factor much greater.

I had a large rooftop carrier for all my camping and fishing equiptment, I used to leave it up there all summer long, until I took it off one day and realized the difference it made.huge! Now it only goes up there for the trip and off again

A month ago i removed my Garvin sport rack, a small one to not the full length ones. I am very happy with out it and am trying to figure out how to pack all the camping gear now....

Never had a tire up there or the hilft etc... new it would be sucki.. now that i took it off... man what a difference...

Roof racks sort of suck once you take them off and realize what they do for lean and COG etc...

I had one of my 32's on top for a wheeling trip. I noticed I had a sail on the top of my car the moment I got on the highway when driving to the trail. I didn't feel really tippy on the trail though. It got trailered home that day unfortunately.

I just weighed one of my 33x13.5 Toyo Open Country M/T with steel Cragar, 110lbs.

no_gamecocks said:
Well, I strapped my spare on top for the first time over the weekend for my first trip of the year to Rausch Creek (PA). Almost flopped twice during the day - once sliding down a snowy hill; the second time on the "Gauntlet." Guess I'll think of a better solution next time out.
DSCF0083.jpg

I know what you mean.. About a year ago, I mounted my tire on top and found it to be very tipsy wheeling for the first time..

I ended up taking it off afterwards because I didin't like the way it changed the center of gravity..

E

Back