• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Carrier Recommendations

Cherokeejpn2 said:
Here is what i did and it worked out great!

100_0520.jpg

100_0523.jpg

Rearbumpertirecarrier12005Medium.jpg

Interesting. Got any more pics of your build?

I'm surprised no one mentioned these two:

Based on appearance and design features my top pick is the Hanson Offroad rear bumper and tire carrier.

The bumper sits up close and tight to the body, is contoured to follow the body lines and maximize depature angles, and incorporates a 2" receiver and two 3/4"anchor shackle mounts.

The tire carrier is hinged on the face of the bumper so the passenger side backup light is not obstructed (as it would be with carriers that mount on top of the rear bumper), however the arm is angled so that the main part sits above the bumper keeping the spare in tight to the rear hatch. It's also a short swing arm so you don't need lots of clearance to open it.

The only problem I have with it is the cost: $749 for the bumper and $499 for the tire carrier.

On the basis of value, my top pick (and the combo I ultimately went with) is the Custom 4x4 Fabrication rear bumper and carrier. It does not include a receiver and anchor shackle mounts cost extra, but the lines of the bumper mimic those of the OEM design. The carrier is face mounted so the tire sits a few inches out from the hatch and looks a little awkward from the side (particularly with a smaller tire size such as 31") but you can get C4x4 to customize the tire carrier if you prefer.

It's not the ultimate combo out there, but for $650 for the bumper and carrier, it's pretty good bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Que pasa with the Tailbone? Waiting and have money in hand!
Tony

Detour said:
It's new, affordable, and coming to a website near you.......SOON.

It'd be awesome if you could make this available, Detour. Its the only bumper / tire carrier setup that I'm remotely interested in. What do you need from us to produce it? ...or would you "custom fab" it upon request?

ShowLettertailbone.jpg

I want to free up the interior for gear, keep the weight to a minimum, and just plain don't need (or want) a heavy-duty replacement bumper.

1259201660_b12e9da173.jpg

If you check thier webpage, you guys will see that Detours is in the process of relocating. I'm sure Mark is chomping at the bit to get back at it.

I too am waiting patiently for my slimline to be built. It will be worth the wait.

Anyone in the know heard anything from Detour USA. Thier phone number is out of service and I'm leaving for Moab in 7 weeks. I would love a tailbone system.

Absolutely the only rear bumper I would ever consider (besides OE and that's a crappy choice). I've been waiting for a looong while. Might have to give up and go with the slimline. Still the best design out there for the slick factor, appearance, function (doesn't block the rear lights at all) and common sense (doesn't block the rear view).

All the other bumpers out there fall short one way or another. I can't see 1 shortcoming with the slimline: even the price is good compared to all the other cheaper ones that have design flaws.
I'll wait, and continue to throw the spare in the back.

I'm all for the Detours, slimline or backbone.

Mighty Mighty, to the best of my knowledge, the Detours Tailbone system is just the spare tire mount that bolts to the OEM bumper. The estimated price (listed a few pages back on this thread) is $365-$385 - if we can get a bumper AND spare tire carrier for that price it would be the deal of the year. I really like the looks of it but I am not confident that it can hold a 33" on steelies and possibly my hi lift

I agree that most tire carrier bumpers have the pin that blocks the reverse light and most of the turn signal. In NJ, you will fail inspection before you could even get your truck into the bay.

I've had bullet proof which was nice, but out of business I hear. I LOVE C-Rok. The rear quarter panels are protected with this bumper, and it almost looks factory the wat it covers the panel.

The spare tire is high though. You could lower it, but with my Moab wheel, I can see right through to the traffic behind me.

CIMG3155.jpg

Back