• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire carrier idea

I have a 91 XJ and my 33 x 12.50 lays down in the cargo area, and leaves about 15" of space on one side. I'm thinking of welding up a bracket that would create a shelf above the tire across the entire cargo bay, hence the groceries, lol.

That's basically the way I'm thinking of going just reversed. I want to make a drawer system to sit on the floor and then do a flat prerunner style tire mount on top. Maybe even make a shelf over the top of that depending on how high it sits.

hippymill said:
somebody here posted up a pic of a tubeing tire mount for the rear cargo area that sat at an angle(kind of like you see in the back of some desert trucks). it left enough room for other stuff.

I don't have the thread but I did save the pictures. Thought this myself many times.

7e92.jpg

5773.jpg

bd88.jpg

Here my crappy setup. It is a 32 11.50 15 tire. The rear seat does not latch on driver side but I don't carry passengers.
2523955_100_full.jpg

But I may say skerw it with max cargo and do some likt the above mount but have maybe an air tank under the tire and sub box on the side.
But I did have this to but going over 80 the roof sound like it going to tear off (one time in it life it had a roof skin put on)
2523955_74_full.jpg

Last edited:
i modded my soundbar a little bit, but i too can't fit a 31x10.5 on 15x8... here's a pic of the speaker with a 29" spare. there's maybe a little more than an inch clearance... but i like the idea of deflating it and carrying a compressor. think i'm gonna do it.

dsc010961.jpg

dsc010891.jpg

ManBearPig said:
Do you know what size tire that is?
I think 33 but can't remember for sure

It's a metric 32x9 IIRC. There was a thread about it on here somewhere. The guy who owned that is a member here. He said he was going to have it modded to hold a 35 better but he sold the Jeep. If you want one, it's made by Armorology. I called them about it and they were iffy about making me one because that was a one-off build done in-store and they said that I could expect it not to fit perfectly since all I could give them is measurements for it.

Back