• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips on modifying axle housings

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for any tips when it comes to modifying axle housings.

My biggest concerns are heat/warpage and machine selection. I've got a 175 amp lincoln mig that I use mostly and I'm most comfortable with it. I've also got an old gas powered miller stick that gets better penetration than my mig will ever hope to but might be overkill for a d30 and 8.25 housing?

Next would be any timeframes or good patterns for weld/wait. Can I just alternate where I lay beads down and do it at once or do I need to have a long cool down after each little bead is laid?? I know that's stretching it but a ballpark would put my mind at ease. I know I'd figure it out but I like to ask questions.

Thanks for tolerating newb questions. I also wonder a bit about cutting things like shock mounts or spring perches. The torch or grinder cause any heat warpage concerns?

Edit: In addition to little stuff like shock mounts I'm looking at doing some trussing. I presume the truss puts heat on one side the whole length so warpage would be a real risk there?

a good thread here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=936456

Im not sure if my front axle was bent when I got it, or if i bent it while welding on it, or by jumping it, but I blew through shafts till i got it straightened...

for spring perches and shock mounts, I havent had any issues with warping (that I noticed...)

I even cut the entire bottom out of my 9" housing and welded a plate back in there...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934582&highlight=shave

and havent noticed anything (other than the extra clearance... ) :D

I run my axles un-trussed, but my front axle has 3"x1/2" wall tubes, so I dont worry about it...

on a 30, i would truss from knuckle to knuckle - because it seems to be the inner c's that bend 75% of the time when that axle gets bent...
good example here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=902244&highlight=truss
(ignore the crappy weld on flame job... :doh:)

HTH

You won't warp the axle if you torch off the old mounts, just be careful on that thin walled D30 tube that you don't cut through the tube. You also won't warp the housing by welding on shock mounts and control arm brackets. Just don't weld a bunch in one spot and you'll be fine, maybe weld half a bracket and let it cool a short time.

Now, welding on a truss is another story, you could warp the crap out of the thing if you're not careful. Use stich welds, weld at different ends, and let it cool regularly. You don't need to let it cool all the way, just enough so the kind of heat that can cause warpage is gone.

How about shaving a housing and preheating it, no concern of warpage?

Unless you get carried away with the heat, don't worry about it. I got my 60 pretty hot when I welded the plate on but everything seems ok. I used the diff cover as a poor man's jig when I welded the outside. If you're paranoid, use an alignment bar.

Shave3.jpg

-Jon

Pretty hard to warp a center section. I wouldn't worry about it if welding to shave one. It's welding along the tubes that can create a problem. However, it never hurts to stop and let things cool a little.

Oh, and Jon, is that rear end under your Jeep now? :)

The 60 is in a working great. I went to Moab for the car show in May and got in some decent wheeling. We ran Coyote on the last day with only a minor brake mount issue. I'll to get some more pics and a separate thread started soon.

-Jon

Kaczman said:
The 60 is in a working great. I went to Moab for the car show in May and got in some decent wheeling. We ran Coyote on the last day with only a minor brake mount issue. I'll to get some more pics and a separate thread started soon.

-Jon

I'd like to see what you did with your 60 Jon.

You do know that Coyote is the equvialent of the bunny slopes at BFE on a 44 and 37's if you skip Green Day and Brittany right?

:D

Pictures, or admit to being a fiction writer! :D

--ron

We hit Coyote on the last day and knew we could be done in a couple hours if we kept it tame. The group in front of us snapped some shots, I'll see if I can track 'em down.

-Jon

Captain Ron said:
I'd like to see what you did with your 60 Jon.

You do know that Coyote is the equvialent of the bunny slopes at BFE on a 44 and 37's if you skip Green Day and Brittany right?

:D

Pictures, or admit to being a fiction writer! :D

--ron

Back