• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to start thinking about elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been on that position yella, can you elaborate the time and tasks you've had to tackle and/or were delegated so they, or others interested, can anticipate what to expect.

Or if Justin or Flores can chime what the position has been or what they would like it to be.

Having been on that position yella, can you elaborate the time and tasks you've had to tackle and/or were delegated so they, or others interested, can anticipate what to expect.

A Director is simply an "official" volunteer for the Chapter really. The intended position is for a Director to accept delegation of tasks from the Pres and VP. Things like establishing the quarterly meetings, scheduling trail runs, look into prices/costs/vendors for swag or for event/raffle product donations/sponsorship. Also a shared responsibility with the others in the Chapter BOD to be a forum moderator.

Because of my work schedule (graveyard shift) and personal busy schedule, my past 2-3 years in the director position has been "modified" if you will. I advised the BOD that I would not be able to take on any tasks for COFest planning, raffle prize solicitation, or other Chapter projects. I involved myself in forum moderation, coordination of local events/meet-n-greets and general BOD discussion of chapter related issues or needs as that's what I could have the time for.

In my earlier years with this Chapter, I wasn't a Supervisor at work and my work schedule was only 3 days a week so I had tons of time to invest in building my XJ and contributing to events, projects and the BOD. Now, I have too much going on so the talk of adding another Director or two I think is a good thing..... if we can find folks with the commitment and interest.

To answer the question of time a Director position requires..... well that isn't really anything that can be defined. Lately, this position takes little to no time because we have very little going on. I surf the forum daily and do the moderation needed as I find it. No big deal. It's when the BOD decides to ramp up efforts and get things moving that it can involve a whole lot more time. I know from previous events, the planning that goes into COFest is pretty significant on those that are tasked with it. And that planning generally spans no less than 4 months, where you're spending an hour here, an hour there making phone calls, sending e-mails, etc. A BOD member can also expect additional forum time spent in the BOD forum when active discussions are going on.

The time spent by our Pres and VP is much more of an investment as they also have to deal with the National BOD and it's projects, issues and plans........ and that's a whole 'nuther monster there..... lol.

Just adding this to the thread because it has been a problem in the past IMO:

Anyone who takes on any of these positions, that hasn't before, needs to realize YOU HAVE TO BE WILLING COMMIT PERSONAL TIME AND EFFORT TO IT.-SOMETIMES FAR MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU WILL and for those that don't know...Yes, I speak from experience - 2 yrs as Chapter Sec/Treasurer and 2 years as Chapter VP.

Don't take on a position, get however many months into it, then realize "Oh shit, this is more involved than I thought and I cant handle/don't have time for it any more".

:lecture:

As far as running for chapter BOD, RRC kind of ruined it for me. Ocourse this chapter is a lot more organized that that one. Would I like to run for prez, VP, or treasurer? No, but i'm told front range director may be a good suite for me. Of course if i run and am elected, that means i actually have to wheel my jeep. we all know that will never happen lol.

Just adding this to the thread because it has been a problem in the past IMO:

Anyone who takes on any of these positions, that hasn't before, needs to realize YOU HAVE TO BE WILLING COMMIT PERSONAL TIME AND EFFORT TO IT.-SOMETIMES FAR MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU WILL and for those that don't know...Yes, I speak from experience - 2 yrs as Chapter Sec/Treasurer and 2 years as Chapter VP.

Don't take on a position, get however many months into it, then realize "Oh shit, this is more involved than I thought and I cant handle/don't have time for it any more".

:lecture:

Exactly!!:lecture:

And...... not that anyone would nominate me for anything, I do not have the time needed to be of much help. I can and will help when I can though!

And then????????

tumblr_mbs3slUomX1rgzenuo1_500.gif

Well, I started a "motion" thread in our chapter BOD Forum to get the positions made and elections going...

Buuuuut no one has yet to post up :rolleyes:
So, I have to call people and irritate them in person?

And then????????

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938499 said:
Section 4: Elections

Nomination for Officers shall take place biennially on November 1. Elections shall be held on November 15 of the same year. The newly elected Officers shall assume their responsibilities on January 1 following the elections. Each office shall be held for a term of 2 years. The Directors shall be elected on alternating years in the above manner. Each candidate must be nominated for an available position. Each nomination must be seconded by a member, and accepted by the nominee. To make an initial nomination and be eligible to run for office, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:

- A full time resident of Colorado
- A member in good standing (as defined in the National By Laws)
- A member for at least 365 consecutive days, immediately prior to the date of the nomination.

And then????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back