• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those in FL

I'm in Orlando and every minute it seems to be headed more towards us. We just had the first of the outer bands pass by with some rain and lightning but its calm again. The worst of it should be getting here around 9 tonight. We've been cleaning up the yard all morning and are just watching the news and waiting now. Hopefully my new Jeep doesn't get blown away, lol.

I'm in Ocala about 1.5 hours north of Orlando and it looked like it was coming straight at us but now looks like Orlando is it...still barely any sign of hurricane here....check out the radar site...orlando radar

As luck would have it, I'm in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach for business right now, and am looking forward to quite a show later tonight.

BTW, Charley is now a definite, strong Cat 4 - he's made the big time, with 145-mph winds, and the eye is ashore near Ft. Meyers.

Gonna be a wild night.

Rob

yellowxj said:
I'm in Ocala about 1.5 hours north of Orlando and it looked like it was coming straight at us but now looks like Orlando is it...still barely any sign of hurricane here....check out the radar site...orlando radar
I just looked at the radar site again and noticed that lower right hand corner has a...... jeep ad :D

XJeep said:
I'm in Orlando and every minute it seems to be headed more towards us. We just had the first of the outer bands pass by with some rain and lightning but its calm again. The worst of it should be getting here around 9 tonight. We've been cleaning up the yard all morning and are just watching the news and waiting now. Hopefully my new Jeep doesn't get blown away, lol.

Where in Orlando are you? Up here in the Longwood/Lake Mary area there are a bunch of trees down, still a whole bunch of places without power. Downtown looks like a tornado went through in addition to the hurricane, whole groups of trees all cut off at the same 30-foot or so height. Power lines and debris of all kinds everywhere.

Went on a little photography expedition today on the pretense of checking out how well my office fared; I'll post the pics later if anybody wants 'em.

You guys on the East Coast stay safe. Not looking so good. :peace:

Anyone heard from matt? Isn't he around St. Pete? Hope all is well. I live there for a while and have been through a few hurricans including Hugo.....

my mom lives in charlotte harbor. her condo is one of the few in the neighborhood with no damage.thank god she and her 96 year old father are o.k. hope everyone down there makes it out alright.

Finally heard from my Mom and Brother that live in Orlando. Guess the city got trashed and there's very little to no electricty. Hope everyone else here made it through ok. Probably won't hear from them for a while.

Driving to the Cape this morning was a trip on 495. Haven't seen rain like that in a long time. Almost needed a snorkle to get down that section of Rt. 6 between the bridge and exit 5.

I have an Aunt and cousin that live in Winter Haven FL that we have not heard from yet,getting a little worried. Maybe power is still out. Aunt lives on 2nd street. Prayers are with all who have been involved in this tough time.

Good Lord guys! It's now Wednesday and power just came back on! I'm just outside Orlando in the Longwood/Sanford area and, it's getting cleaned up now, but, trees EVERYWHERE! 2 houses to the right of my house a tree took out 3 cars at one house, including his Jeep. One of the cars smashed, he just made his lastpayment on last month. 2 houses the other way, a van was almost split down the middle by a tree. We luckly only got limbs blown over. My buddy who lives on 2 acres lost 27 BIG trees! Houses are smashed around here. I've been going crazy w/o power cause that means no NAXJA! But, I"M BAAACK! Thanks for the concern for us FL boys!
Oh, and, everyone was giving us the thumbs up as we drove around and over trees right after the hurricaine. And, i was double checkin for downed line the whole time also. Everyone was wondering if we were with search and rescue cause the lifted jeep with snorkel and of course, my spinning amber light on the roof. hehe
Tylor

ya thanks for the concern, it was chaos for awhile
gas stations with 20-40 cars deep, I was without power for a lil while and was just south or Orlando. lots of trees are toppled over and missing shingles for the most part, however some areas are not so lucky :tear:

I live on Estero Island (Fort Myers Beach) and evacuated because of the storm surge, I did not want the XJ sitting in sea water for who knows how long. I was confident that, due to height of my lot and the additional gains from the lift, I might at most get the floorboard wet, but wasn't sure how long the water might stand befor subsiding. All that saltwater can do a lot of damage.

I left the island Friday morning with about a 6-hour window thinking this thing was heading for Tampa Bay as a Category 2 storm. I made the call to to head northeast and ride out the storm with friends in Port Charlotte. HUGE miscalculation on my part! Within hours the thing went from a 2 to Category 4 hurricane and turned right into the mouth of Charlotte Harbor.

By the time all this happened there was no time to evacuate again and was unwittingly forced to witness the raw fury and destructive forces that these storms can unleash. I have endured several tropical storms and near misses in my years here, but have never seen this type of devastation firsthand. My friend's house was laid to waste right before our eyes. I drove towards home Saturday morning through the moonscape of Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda.

Islanders were not allowed home to survey damages for four days while the town councils cleared sand, trees and downed power lines from streets. Sanibel Island suffered a similar fate and, as of this writing, still has not received full power to all homes. My heart goes out to the victims and spent three days myself back in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda tarping roofs, covering windows and removing spoiled food from friends' freezers and fridges.

Other than having no electricity until the 19th and storm debris in the yard, my home remained virtually undamaged. I am one of the lucky ones. An inconvienient stay in a motel and a few dollars worth of lost food is nothing compared to the losses than span across several Florida counties. Homes, jobs and families uprooted and destroyed.

This is not a personal appeal, but a witness asking you to reach into your pockets one more time and show these folks we care by earmarking your donations for the people who have no place else to turn. Charlotte, DeSoto, Hardee, Highlands and Polk Counties were hardest hit and some of these are the poorest communities in the area.

Start by contacting the your local American Red Cross Chapter or call 1-800-Help-Now or by contacting The United Way. Cash donations, water, non-perishable foods, baby formula and diapers, blankets and toiletries are the most needed. Those in this area who wish to persoanlly get involved in helping with the cleanup can grab those chainsaws, winches and axes and call 1-800-FLHELP-1 (1-800-354-3571). Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers.

Back