• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thorley vs Banks header

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Finally getting around to this...

I like the larger primary size on the Thorley. Banks has funny lengths on some of the tubing but I'm going to assume tuning takes care of it.

Both are available cheaper through Amazon but no warranty when through Amazon (WTF?).

I want something fire and forget, install it once and never have to worry about it again.

Which would you do?

Don't know about Thorley but banks is famous for cracking relatively soon

I believe Banks has claimed to have solved the cracking problems. I don't however have personal experience with either. maybe I can get cal in here to give some first hand experience, I think they run the Banks header on the team NAXJA rig.

Banks fixed the cracking issue.

They are also great about warranty's.

I've never heard anything positive about thorley.

I've seen mention of a Borla header. There is no XJ part number, just a TJ one for 00-01. It doesn't look that great. Any input on the Borla?

I think I saw Talyn complain about warrantly issues with the Thorley.

I have a Borla on my trail rig. Very happy with it, but its no longer available.

Banks fixed the cracking issue.

They are also great about warranty's.

I've never heard anything positive about thorley.

It is good to hear Banks have got their issues worked out. I will be buying a header in the near future. The one on my XJ (270,000 + miles) is broken close to the collector. My first choice would have been a Thorley.

Are those banks ceramic coated? If not, would it be a wise decision to have it coated? I am just looking for a way to reduce under hood temperature.

I've seen mention of a Borla header. There is no XJ part number, just a TJ one for 00-01. It doesn't look that great. Any input on the Borla?

Borla stopped making the XJ header a long time ago. I've had mine since 1997 and it's still doing fine.

I think I saw Talyn complain about warrantly issues with the Thorley.
I did. As well as someone else with their first version header. Mine took about 2 months to get a replacement for after it cracked and they charged me for the "upgraded header". Like $120 extra. When I and someone else complained about the wait both of us were told we had "attitudes". Its a nice header, and eve though they fixed the cracking issue I would not buy another one because of my "attitude". Not to mention that their "ceramic" coating is shit.

I did. As well as someone else with their first version header. Mine took about 2 months to get a replacement for after it cracked and they charged me for the "upgraded header". Like $120 extra. When I and someone else complained about the wait both of us were told we had "attitudes". Its a nice header, and eve though they fixed the cracking issue I would not buy another one because of my "attitude". Not to mention that their "ceramic" coating is shit.
I've heard similar issues in the ZJ market aswell, Sucks.. they are the only ones that make headers for the V8 ZJ.. I refuse to send a company like that my Hard earned money.

I guess Banks is what I'll be ordering.

Back