• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This is why...

ouchies.

Never says a hook, but it probably was.

D-ring / Shackle / Clevis / Hook, any of them can come flying at you. I'll even testify that I have seen synthetic winch line come at me fast enough I would never want hit by it.

People just need to get as far away as possible when someone is pulling or winching. Take another tow strap or something and lay it accross the line or strap.

ouch. Wouldn't wanna go out like that. Now That i got one of my recovery points installed today. I will keep that in mind for future reference

Gene MJ said:
Never says a hook, but it probably was.

D-ring / Shackle / Clevis / Hook, any of them can come flying at you. I'll even testify that I have seen synthetic winch line come at me fast enough I would never want hit by it.

People just need to get as far away as possible when someone is pulling or winching. Take another tow strap or something and lay it accross the line or strap.
easy thing is to get some old socks and maybe double them up and fill them with pebbles and sand and tie them together. throw that over the robe/cable/ whatever you may have. at least you might have a chance

I was planning on making a couple of "line weights" using sand and canvas one day anyhow - about three pounds of sand on either end of a foot-wide and foot- to foot-and-a-half long flap, one for each end of the line in use. Gives a total weight of six pounds or so, which should at least slow things down somewhat.

Gotta get a strap first, which requires that I get a number of other things done before even that. But, it's something else that's on my list.

i am always extra careful with tow straps or winch lines, i was in the navy and they show some movies about what can happen when a line comes apart, granted those are a lot bigger, but if one of them parts, it is like a whip snapping out. please use extra caution i would hate to read about someone from here having a similar accident

Seen what I thought was a clever idea at Redbird a while back. Guy took two baseballs and put them in what looked like a tube sock. Tied the end of the sock and once the line was taunt, wrapped it around the line. Just hit the line and it wraps itself around the line.

"donkey balls"

I sent a tow hook through a CJ windshield FRAME, into the passengers lap.

and people wonder why I am always checking attachments and hate joining straps with a shackle.

Rev

Rev has a very good point about joining tug'em straps. The ideal situation is to loop the strips through each other with a wooden stick or dowel to keep them from permanently joining together.

I grew up pulling farm equipment out of mudholes using chains. With chains, you *NEVER*, *EVER* jerk the equipment, it's always a slow steady pull, and requires much heavier tow gear. Guys who are used to straps get into trouble with chains. Guys who are used to chains never really use the stretch of a tug'em strap.

I've converted Dad & my brother over to using straps, I doubt they'll ever use a chain again.

Me, I don't have a problem per se with metal hooks, but I will certainly change my behavior if there's one involved in the extraction.

Back