• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this article in our school paper chaps my @$$

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
Some kid wrote this in the paper in the final publishing of the semester so that no responses could be published. He is also transferring to UALR next semester to avoid any conflicts on campus.

Is Your Neck Sunburned?
By: Shawn Pennington

Are racist rednecks beginning to take the south back over? I am starting to think that they are. Over a period of more than 140 years, one would kind of expect symbols like the confederate flag to die off. Contrary to that assumption, the confederate flag is flying strong in the south. It can also be seen occasionally around campus in dorm room windows, license plates, and other décor.
Do these people know why they are showcasing this flag? The only thing I have come up with is that it seems to be the flag to identify redneck racists. There are always the exceptions that feel that the flag should be flown in memory of those who fought for the south, but I think that is a cop out.
Although the war was fought by the south to prevent government takeover, the bottom line is that the south needed to be governed by more highly educated, and morally sound, people. The southerners’ fear of being governed was due to the fact that they knew slavery would be abolished for all states; and the flag commemorates those who fought in the war for the prospect of saving slavery from being eradicated.
Do these people deserve to be honored? I think not. The south lost the war, and I am glad they did; but why exactly is the flag still being flown today?
I think people today who fly the flag with pride have no idea why they are flying it. It seems to have become a cool thing to do among “redneck, not so closet, racists.”
If you are unfamiliar with what kind of people these are I will attempt to elaborate further. A true redneck will have a combination of any of these qualities. They are uneducated, dip snuff, own a truck, go mudding, are offended by the “no shoes, no shirt, no service” signs, drink beers, sit outside on the porch every evening, have creative derogatory names for everyone, know at least 10 racial jokes for each race, speaks horrible English with an extreme slur, and many other qualities. These qualities are hardly definitive but they could definitely be used to identify most redneck racists.
I do, in fact, own a truck, so I am 10% redneck according to my previously listed qualities. Some people may have many of these qualities but aren’t a redneck. I would hope these people know who they are.
I guess I should just ask each person I see with the flag why they are flying it. I just fear what the answer may be. Maybe I’ll just have a meeting inviting all rednecks to attend. I should be able to get answers that way; I would just have to ban turtlenecks and scarves. I wouldn’t want the meeting to be tainted.

He makes a good point of the "why still fly the confederate flag" deal, but the last part about the rednecks could have been left out and would have made him look better IMHO.

He is more redneck (using his definition not mine) than he thinks since he feels so comfortable using a derogatory name to describe a group of people. I always shake my head at people that complain about the closemindedness of others while firmly placing their own barricades on their minds.

Having a redneck has nothing to do with racism.....

I don't care much for the South. Don't care about the Confederate flag. However, the level of ignorance in that article is astounding. Stupid kids. He shows as much prejudice as he is denouncing. I love it when closed minded bigots hold up closed minded bigots to show how above it all and evolved they are.

best part of it is......he isnt black. He claims to be "black and white mix".

Powerman said:
I don't care much for the South. Don't care about the Confederate flag. However, the level of ignorance in that article is astounding. Stupid kids. He shows as much prejudice as he is denouncing. I love it when closed minded bigots hold up closed minded bigots to show how above it all and evolved they are.
x2.
Was that a letter written to the editor or an actual article? I'd find out who was responsible for letting it to print.
My thoughts:
If you can't call a minority a derogatory racial slur then you can't call the white folks in the south rednecks.

Paragraph 1, I can see his point.

Paragraph 2, moron

Normally, as a southern redneck myself, I'd be offended. But this guy is obviously more ignorant than he claims my people are. So I just shrug and say whatever.

I should get one of those flags for my rig in case one of these people want to ask me. I'd just respond "just to get yer dander up, little lady."

87manche said:
x2.
Was that a letter written to the editor or an actual article? I'd find out who was responsible for letting it to print.
My thoughts:
If you can't call a minority a derogatory racial slur then you can't call the white folks in the south rednecks.

This kid works as writer for the paper. He wrote the article and published it as an actual article in the school paper. This school is known as "redneck Tech" because of the large number of "rednecks" here. Im considered a redneck just because I like to be outdoors, hunt, fish, play in the rocks, and have other simple pleasures? Im proud of the south but dont fly a confederate flag...

See, now I proudly fly a confederate flag. Why? you ask? Because like it or not, the confederate flag is a core part of Southern history. Asking southerners to stop holding the confederate flag sacred is no different than asking a black american to stop viewing Africa as the "Motherland".

In my opinion, asking either to give up pride in their history is wrong. You may not like the history of the South, but frankly, all I can say to that is Tuff Tootsies....it happened, deal with it. If you don't like it, ignore it...cuz it's not going away and there's no point getting all worked up over something nobody can change.

Well, you see a lot of bars'n'stars around here. Being a displaced Yankee, I've wondered about it, myself. My conclussions, standing firmly on the disclaimer in my signature, is this:

Southerners display the flag because they lost and it tickles them to see how much it pisses off the victors that they continue to display a battle standard, even if they did lose.

Northerners get pissy about it because they won and feel that victory gives them the authority to tell the losers to behave themselves.

In the end it (refering specifically to the display of the stars'n'bars) comes down to freedom of speech. OTOH, the article cited above was subject to editorial review. If I had been editor, based on the quality of the writing, and on the largely unfounded nature of most of the content I would have sent it back for rewrite.

SanDiegoXJ said:
See, now I proudly fly a confederate flag. Why? you ask? Because like it or not, the confederate flag is a core part of Southern history. Asking southerners to stop holding the confederate flag sacred is no different than asking a black american to stop viewing Africa as the "Motherland".

In my opinion, asking either to give up pride in their history is wrong. You may not like the history of the South, but frankly, all I can say to that is Tuff Tootsies....it happened, deal with it. If you don't like it, ignore it...cuz it's not going away and there's no point getting all worked up over something nobody can change.

So should I star flying the Hackenkruez?

hooked-cross.jpg

SanDiegoXJ said:

The confederate flag is a symbol of a group of states who chose secession from the union in order to maintain their financial ability to run plantations with slaves.

It has nothing to do with where you came from or what your history is. You were born an American and you should celebrate American history. If you were born during the confederacy, I could understand the arguement. Otherwise, for the other 227 years of this country, the confederate flag didn't exist. Flying the confederate flag is a gruesome reminder of the 618,000 casualties inflicted on both sides of the war.

Notwithstanding, the writer of that article is obviously an immature college kid that should get his facts straight before voicing his opinion.

The likely hood of people not displaying the ConFed flag anymore (redneck or not) is about the same as rappers and other people of color not calling eachother the "N" word anymore....

olivedrabcj7 said:
They are uneducated, dip snuff, own a truck, go mudding, are offended by the “no shoes, no shirt, no service” signs, drink beers, sit outside on the porch every evening, have creative derogatory names for everyone, know at least 10 racial jokes for each race, speaks horrible English with an extreme slur, and many other qualities.

Wow !! I have never considered myself a "redneck" until now. It's as if this guy knows me. That is uncanny.

Powerman said:
I don't care much for the South........ He shows as much prejudice as he is denouncing. I love it when closed minded bigots hold up closed minded bigots to show how above it all and evolved they are.

I'm a Yankee by birth (Waterville, Me), but can't for the life of me see how anyone could dislike an entire region.

It's a freedom protected by our Constitution and everybody has the same right. I don't fly the Bars and Stars, I don't dislike anyone based on the decision to do so, and I am proud to live in a country where we are free to express our opinions-- no matter how misguided they may be.

offensive?? yes, to many.
free speach?? yes, to all.

Tacky by my standards, but I'm responsible for me-- not anyone else.
Just my opinion, didn't mean to wrinkle any feathers (or is that offensive to native americans)

--Shorty

Back