• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking....How to install RE6130?

CREEPRS said:
Also do forget, SYE, shocks, and tires. With that high of a lift you may need the SYE.
I'd pretty much guarantee it since it's going on a 2000. Good point about the 12-ton stands too; I have 6-ton units that are actually high enough to touch the frame :D but I try to keep it as low and well-supported as possible....if that means keeping the wheels on, I'll do that because they rarely collapse...

Chad - have you placed that order yet? Ditch the t-case drop for credit, and I'd recommend the same for the RE Discos...use those credits toward JKS Quicker Discos. Getting the heavier trackbar isn't a bad idea either

Last edited:
Fryphax said:
DSC00535.JPG

This is how I prefer to do it. :D

I'm still waiting for that thing to fall off those jackstands...

Then again, 10 months should be long enough for it to fall. :looney:

I know regular jack stands will be fine. It is actually better to have the rear low to the ground when swapping leaf packs. The front you want to have as high as possible. By the way why does it take everybody so long to finish their lifts? I did my mine in 6 hours, which included building my leaf packs, mostly by myself. I guess us canadians are a bit faster @ it :)

Markus said:
By the way why does it take everybody so long to finish their lifts? I did my mine in 6 hours, which included building my leaf packs, mostly by myself. I guess us canadians are a bit faster @ it :)
Maybe there's a conversion factor there as well? $20US=$532Can; 14hours US = 6 hours Can?? :rolleyes: I know that a good portion of my delays were from trips to Autozone (forgot to specify the axle when I ordered lift); trips to McDonald's after degreasing hands; and basic super-late slowness...falling asleep with a torque wrench, etc... :p

I ahve not ordered it yet, but i found a few good prices... i didn't mention that i was paying for the bulk of this with an insurance check to cover the damage to my front end after a little collision I had... $1360 minus the $500 deductible... leaves me at $860, which would get me the lift, and shocks... then i'd have to wait until i'm working again to get my sye, driveshaft, and jks discos. So, i decided about 4 hours ago that i should just go ahead and order my bull bar, prime it, my snorkel and my side view mirrors, and get em' all painted to match the body color. This way i know i will have no chance of having problems from the company that "owns" my jeep (loan) by them seeing that i did not have the bumper fixed. So, once i start my job (waiting on the lease to finish going through) it shoud be 1-2 months before i can get the $$ to order my lift and all the goodies to go with it.
Hmmm... after writing it all down, it doesn't seem as logical as it did earlier while i was sitting at the bar drinking captain'n'cokes. Maybe i should just order some of the lift now, forcing me to save the $$ to put the rest together for later. Damn it.... I can't make up my mind, what should I do? i can just pull the bumper off, fix the mounting tabs on the frame, un-wrinkle my bumber, and make it look all pretty...for now, until i'm ready to order the bull bar.

ChicksDigWagons said:
I'm still waiting for that thing to fall off those jackstands...

Then again, 10 months should be long enough for it to fall. :looney:

10? More like 6 brother. :roll:

JeepinAudiophile said:
I ahve not ordered it yet, but i found a few good prices... i didn't mention that i was paying for the bulk of this with an insurance check to cover the damage to my front end after a little collision I had... $1360 minus the $500 deductible... leaves me at $860, which would get me the lift, and shocks... then i'd have to wait until i'm working again to get my sye, driveshaft, and jks discos. So, i decided about 4 hours ago that i should just go ahead and order my bull bar, prime it, my snorkel and my side view mirrors, and get em' all painted to match the body color. This way i know i will have no chance of having problems from the company that "owns" my jeep (loan) by them seeing that i did not have the bumper fixed. So, once i start my job (waiting on the lease to finish going through) it shoud be 1-2 months before i can get the $$ to order my lift and all the goodies to go with it.
Hmmm... after writing it all down, it doesn't seem as logical as it did earlier while i was sitting at the bar drinking captain'n'cokes. Maybe i should just order some of the lift now, forcing me to save the $$ to put the rest together for later. Damn it.... I can't make up my mind, what should I do? i can just pull the bumper off, fix the mounting tabs on the frame, un-wrinkle my bumber, and make it look all pretty...for now, until i'm ready to order the bull bar.
if you're worried about the ins co. or loan co. giving you a hard time for not fixing the bumper they gave you money for, try finding a used bumper from a junk yard or someone on here selling theirs. it'd be much cheaper

I decided i'm gonna pull the bumper off, fix the frame where it mounts (minor damage) straighten out the bumper as best i can, then just try to make it look pretty again. I got my check today, and i'm going to order the lift, and hack'n'tap for now... that's all my funds will allow. But that gets me started, and then i have no choice but to order the driveshaft, shocks and all the small hardware. I will do the JKS quicker discos, but will wait til later on- getting by on the RE ones... Also, what is it i have read about replacing the RE trackbar with the JKS one?

DON'T ORDER THE HACK N TAP. You have a new XJ and it will be crap. I did my '99 with a TRUE SYE and a new driveshaft and 4degree shims and I have no problems. Do it right the first time and don't have to replace parts. For $100 more you can get a real one. Trust me. You said it'll only take you a month or so to get the money for a lift. Why don't you wait a month and get a REAL SYE? I have the same lift you are planning on buying. I should havec upgraded my trackbar, but the disconnects are fine. I use a hammer to get them in and out, but it is on of those things that isn't that big of a deal.

With my insurance check (you got the idea from me on the new bumper at the time), I decided I am going to get a Lincoln 175 Mig Welder and try to build my own front bumper. I've had about 4 weeks of training in a Intro to Mech E class of AutoCAD so I am going to take my time and build it on there. My bumper will be a Bulletproof and the Go There Engineering (yeah I know it is for a TJ) bumper combined.

Here are some pics of my lift install

http://community.webshots.com/user/xjdriver21.

The best advice I got from my local club, if it takes time to buy certain parts, it's takes time, rather than replacing crap parts that you bought in a rush with money that could be spent on others.

Believe me... I am king of throwing my money out to buy the best of the best the first time around, even when i really don't need to (Jeep parts, clothes, electronics, tools...Yes, I own multiple pairs of $130 Jeans, with an account at Armani Exchange-I like to look good;I know the local Mac Tools and Snap-On drivers well, am planning a sound system that costs $14,000 retail...BEFORE INSTALL). I would love to do a HD SYE, but i have the 242, so I am limited to the Hack'n'tap (or crack open a donor 242 to get my brain ticking on a sye possibility)...unless I do a 231 swap, but i don't want to- i like my 242. Yeah, i was going to do the bumper then decided that i could get a lift instead... i owe you on that one! I am planning on doing the jks discos later, but doing the jks trackbar in my next order. I thought of fabbing my own bumper, because I could if i wanted to...6 years using AutoCAD, 2 years technical drawing, Mechanical Engineering Major (one year, need more $$ to go back and finish) Welding, blah blah blah... but i really like the look of the ARB, so i'll just pay for theirs. Oh well, switching gears...what size tires are on your XJ in the pics of the Lift install?

Last edited:
lol put my lift on in a buddy's driveway... he had some extra long hoses for his impact wrench, started at 3pm ended at 3am left still having to put the new rear shackles on it.

my problem is that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. I have already broken off two bolts on the top of the rear shocks, so i'm going to have to deal with those... and i have already started spraying with PB Blaster because every damn one of the bolts will have seized if i didn't, and i am sure to break off the bolt inside the frame for the leaf spring. So, this is what i am accounting for. And i'm also planning on doing it myself, if i can get help from someone then great- I have already had a few offers from people in the area. Oh well, if it takes a week, it takes a week. I am planning a HP-LP D30 swap at the same time, replacing upper and lower ball joints, swaybar bushings, and if i trust myself to do so- i might try to regear my 8.25 while i'm planning on it being out of commission.

The tires in the pictures of my install are Interco TrXuS MT 31x10.5 on the stock wheels (no shit) without any wheel spacers. I have a complete set of TJ Canyons with ATs on them. I'm going to be getting 2" wheelspacers so I can run those tires on the street and the MTs when wheeling. It's not everyday in MD that you see an XJ with Canyons on it.
icon6.gif

evilpresence said:
DON'T ORDER THE HACK N TAP. You have a new XJ and it will be crap. I did my '99 with a TRUE SYE and a new driveshaft and 4degree shims and I have no problems. Do it right the first time and don't have to replace parts.
That's a mighty big statement - guaranteeing that hack-n-taps are crap? Gee...I better go check mine again or go talk to any of the dozen or so Jeepers I know with h+t's...tell them that theirs are crap after several years of wheeling each. :shocked:

Then again, JeepinAudiophile has a 242, which pretty much limits the options anyway

I'm still praying for somone, anyone, to bend one of my pre-bent factory bumpers so that I can get some extra money! :gee:

Robert

XJWheelie said:
I'm still praying for somone, anyone, to bend one of my pre-bent factory bumpers so that I can get some extra money!
I know what you mean...I was stopped in traffic a few months back and watched the guy behind me as he came flying up - he was playing with his radio and barely stopped before hitting me. Guy behind him paid even less attention, and plowed the first guy right into my rear bumper. My hitch took the brunt of the hit, and in trade for punching through his hood, radiator, windshield bottle and everything else on the front of a Subaru WR-X I ended up with a little white paint on the hitch. Couple thousand dollars damage to him, and a couple shots of Krylon for me. Oh well...

Back