• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

think it's worth it?

kippo1

NAXJA Forum User
Came across a 2000 Cherokee sport 4wd, 4.0, auto, with 98000 miles.

It is not running. Guys says had new engine put in after he blew the original by driving to far on over heated engine. That it ran but after up to temp it won't start after you turned it off.

Been sitting since 2012 minimal surface rust. Straight body. Paint faded bad. Tires look OK with no dry rot. Carpet is shot. Head liner shot. Front seats don't match. All interior as far as dash and plastic in good shape. Factory tow package .

All windows good and seals look good. Said he would take scrap price 750.00 is what he is asking.

I have to call and actually see what scrap is right now but it was 11.00 per 100lbs 2 weeks ago so that would put it at 360.00

I'm going to offer him current.scrap price tomorrow and see what he says

Scrap is way down compared to several years ago. They were paying $10/hundred several weeks ago for complete cars.

Sounds like this thing is a total hodge-podge of parts. Is it a "new to the Jeep" or "new rebuilt engine"?

I'm with highspeed, no more than $500. Sounds like you may have to spend a bit to get it right again.

Good luck!

He said new engine. But you know how that goes. I figured i would throw a batt in it , flush the fuel lines install the new pump and reach the cps and see what happens. If it runs keep it for a 2nd vehicle if not strip it of all I want then scrap it or ???

He said new engine. But you know how that goes. I figured i would throw a batt in it , flush the fuel lines install the new pump and reach the cps and see what happens. If it runs keep it for a 2nd vehicle if not strip it of all I want then scrap it or ???

There are enough parts hawks on here to sell the good stripped parts, but its a PITA to keep a shell in the yard for months while you sell parts. If it runs, then thats a different story. Really depends on how comfortable you are will the options. I don't mind buying a vehicle as long as it doesn't have too many "fingerprints" on it from 20+ previous owners.

Me personally, I wouldn't try to fix it.

Is it worth $500? Sure! Any complete 97+ Jeep that hasn't been rolled 5 times is worth $500. From your description I'd guess it's worth $2,500-$3,000 in parts if you have the time and room to part it out.

Within the next couple weeks I'll be on the hunt for another parts Jeep.

It depends on whether or not you want it, and if you have time and skills to mess with it.
I'd probably buy it at $500, and fix it. You may end up with a great vehicle by the time you have $1500 in it.
The running issue is probably something minor, and all the parts you need are available in the junkyard.
As far as paint, that gives you an opportunity to get creative. Roll on jobs can look really nice, as well as rattle can jobs, if you take your time, do the proper prep work, and use decent quality materials.
Most of the jeeps I've ended up with were in the same shape as the one you describe or worse, and although they never end up "nice", they end up serving their purpose very well, and often make a profit when I sell them.

Oh yeah I can handle it. I have access to a climate controlled paint booth and every tool I need to get her going again.

I figure I'll just see about getting her running first. If that goes well then I'll do a full tune up fluids and flush cooling system. I have my 98 that I'll keep for more of a trail rig and do this one for a daily driver. Maybe a ome 2 inch lift 31's and limited slip diff if doesn't already have one. And re gear to 4:56.

Then a good paint job and call her done .

Now just waiting to see if he accepts my offer.

Hmmm 4.56 is a rather deep gear for just 31's. I believe I'd shoot for 4.10's and 32's. That seemed perfect to me....
You're on the right track, though. Good luck!

I have 4:56 with 31's right now and would not have it any other way. I love it. I can swap between 31's and 33's and am happy.

Lowrange2. If I can't get it running I'll be pulling a bunch of parts for my self.

Hey, if you like it that way, have at it. Won't hurt a thing, and probably helps gas mileage. 4.56 with 33's felt great to me, also. I usually don't bother regearing an automatic until I'm at 33's. 5 speed usually gets
3.55's on 31's or 4.10 with 32's/33's. I've only had one lifted automatic, though.

Yeah this is the first auto I have had. I originally had 33 x 12.5 but I like skinny tires so I dropped down to 31 x 10.5 and that is when I realized I liked it better with 31's but 33's were fine to.

I will probably go back to 33x10.5 when these tires are done.

Back