• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thieves broke into my Jeep!!! :(

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
I like your thinking. I really do. But, take some free legal advice - don't do it. Let me say that again - Don't do it.

The law is clear that as soon as you set up a boobytrap like that, you become the bad guy and the waste-of-plasma thief becomes the victim. Not only will you stand a very good chance of being prosecuted criminally, the scumbag thief will sue you civilly and win. It ain't right, but it's the law.

You're better off catching him in the act and then experiencing an objectively reasonable fear for your life when he turns on you. Then you're covered by self-defense when they wonder why you choked the life from his worthless body.

:heart: :peace: :kissyou: Love your fellow man . . . unless he's a thieving ba$tard :mad: - then do society a favor and kill him! :hang: :twak: :explosion
Yeah I know that's the main reason I haven't done it yet(still not saying I won't but for now I haven't). Frankly if I get charged criminally or civil I think it'd be worth it. As for choking it's a little ineffective in my opinion I prefer the concealed Smith & Wesson .38 sitting on my hip. It's a touch messy but damn I'd love to see a thief with 5 .38 Hydrashocks in his gut.

8Mud said:
The favorite car thieves trick around here, is to use a long pointed pry bar, to put a hole in the battery, then return and strip/steal the car later. I installed a 12 volt recharegable battery pack, under the back seat, that runs the alarm. The battery pack also works with a large spot I carry around with me and will run my video cam.
Guy pulled up next to the wifes XJ, with a car crane at 2 in the morning. Noticed me standing there with a shotgun, decided not to try for the Jeep. Next day I found a puddle of battery acid in the street. Cops are mostly usless, insurance companies usually only pay a fraction of your loss.

Hey 8Mud, where ya live at? so... I know NOT to go there! hehehe :) too bad we can't have a intergrated driveway that pop out spikes behind our vehicles, so no one can tow our stuff off, and our vehicle has a sensor or something to make it automatically retract and enable when we come and go. If they try to go for it, their wheels will pop. Whadda ya guys think?

Live in central Germany, but things were about the same when I lived in L.A. Came home from work one day in L.A. and found my CJ sitting on two shopping carts and the tires and rims gone. Two weeks later spotted my tires and rims rolling up the street. Followed him home, went and got a few buddies, forgot to bring a jack, so we rolled his ride on the roof, to get my tires and rims off. :laugh3: Police didn´t think it was funny, but never charged me.
Here in Germany, I just keep a few bricks, near the upstairs window, a couple of bad arsed dogs and a shotgun loaded with skeet shot. Germans really frown on guns, but let you drive a 5000 lb. Mercedes as fast as you can. Guns are dangerous, a super sonic Mercedes is acceptable. Guess your supposed to call the police and watch them carry your ride off, then make a report an hour later, when the police show up. Different country different rules. Me, I´m going outside to argue with them a bit, but sure enough not empty handed. Probably the best/worst thing that could happen is to be deported. :wave:
They catch a dozen car thieves a night at the borders, 10 times that many make it through. About the same as South Texas or Southern California.

8Mud said:
Live in central Germany, but things were about the same when I lived in L.A. Came home from work one day in L.A. and found my CJ sitting on two shopping carts and the tires and rims gone. Two weeks later spotted my tires and rims rolling up the street. Followed him home, went and got a few buddies, forgot to bring a jack, so we rolled his ride on the roof, to get my tires and rims off. :laugh3: Police didn´t think it was funny, but never charged me.

awesome way to get your rims and tires back, I guess you know your tires and rims are really yours, what type of vehicle did ya roll over? that bastard deserves it, I hope you scratch his ride all up and fooked up his mirrors. That takes nerves man, you are a bad@ss... my hats off to ya! :laugh3:

Was a Bronco, couple of buddies I showed up with, were bouncers at a local biker bar, super duty types (there were six of us). Back when I was young stupid and impulsive.
Now I´m old, slow and cranky. Now on days, instead of running out and doing something dumb, I walk out and do something dumb.
I´m old, don´t need the sleep I used to need, I do my share of the nieghbor hood watch, looking through a 12X scope.
I´ve got a badge (Game Warden), Police don´t mess with me much. Nieghbors are used to me, walking around with a long gun.

So far I have been pretty lucky,no break ins on the XJ but I suppose staying up till 5 am with a paintball gun and a bag of paintballs in the freezer all summer long doesnt hurt. I would like to see some bastard come touch my Jeep then be surprised when he gets a face full of frozen paintballs.

Moto said:
So far I have been pretty lucky,no break ins on the XJ but I suppose staying up till 5 am with a paintball gun and a bag of paintballs in the freezer all summer long doesnt hurt. I would like to see some bastard come touch my Jeep then be surprised when he gets a face full of frozen paintballs.

ooh, ooh, hopefully that should knock some teeth out! oooor, fook his face up like this: :gee:

can you shoot him in the balls for me? :laugh3:

Ecarlcl said:
Well mines a 90, your ignition system may be really different than mine. I just disconnect the wire when I park it for the night, not when im at school or work or anything, I'm thinking about wiring up a switch for it.

Ethan

Anyone know why they wont allow me to have a sig anymore?

ya , I don't have a distributor or spark plug wires to speak of. fusebox maybe? it is still a pain in the @ss to open the hood and slam it shut to wake the neighbours up at 4am in the morning :(

at least mine is tidy from no messey wires going all of the place :)

Yeah, I really need to do something to make mine more secure, I am thinking about something that cancels the ground to to fuel pump. Probably be spring break before I can cook something up. I dont leave anything in there but my vest for work and a few cassette tapes now. I hope they are happy with my 12" sub and amp I bought at wal mart and my 8 disc that they dont make anymore. I still have the wiring harness for it. They wont beable to buy any crack with my junk.

Ecarlcl

Ecarlcl said:
Yeah, I really need to do something to make mine more secure, I am thinking about something that cancels the ground to to fuel pump. Probably be spring break before I can cook something up. I dont leave anything in there but my vest for work and a few cassette tapes now. I hope they are happy with my 12" sub and amp I bought at wal mart and my 8 disc that they dont make anymore. I still have the wiring harness for it. They wont beable to buy any crack with my junk.

Ecarlcl

Hey Ecarlcl,

If ya do a hidden switch that kills the fuel pump... could ya do a write up please? My XJ is my only ride to work, I can't afford to lose it to the b@stards.

dogtired said:
Hey Ecarlcl,

If ya do a hidden switch that kills the fuel pump... could ya do a write up please? My XJ is my only ride to work, I can't afford to lose it to the b@stards.

Sure

I've always thought it would be cool to have a security system that flooded the cabin with tear-gas.
Wouldn't want that one to go off accidentally though - yikes!

Radio Shack used to sell a siren for alarms that went inside the vehicle. and was so damn loud that you couldn't hardly stand to be in it while the thing was going off. (not quite tear gas, but close) I have two in my car, and no siren on the outside.

my.03 Inflation you know.

Yeah, put the horns and sirens on the inside. All they do is annoy people on the outside, anyway.

Some interior lighting might be a good idea. Some cheap little Walmart driving lights placed inside the car would light up the theif. He could cut the wires, but that takes time. The more attention you can attract and the more of his time you can take the better. Put one on the passenger side dash and one on the driver's side parcel shelf (or somewhere in the back for a Jeep).

JEONLYEP said:
Radio Shack used to sell a siren for alarms that went inside the vehicle. and was so damn loud that you couldn't hardly stand to be in it while the thing was going off. (not quite tear gas, but close) I have two in my car, and no siren on the outside.

my.03 Inflation you know.

Got mine off ebay for cheap... 120db, the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Okie Terry said:
Doesn't your statement contradict itself? Seems to me, if everyone's gettin' jacked, it just became a "bad" area. :)

Not really, thieves know the good nieghborhoods is where the good stuff is. Sure cars may be stolen on Chicago's west-side, but they are not breaking into them for Blaupunkts.

I've had the worst luck with my XJ getting broken into. Like everyone said about neighborhoods not making a difference, I live in one of the nicest parts of Atlanta, so thats not the issue. People come from other areas looking for cars to break into. My XJ got broken into once when I first got it and it still had dealer tags on it, :smsoap: and once more recently. I've never had another vehicle I owned get touched. IDK whats up with it. The last time it was obviously kids becuase they didn't even get in, all they did was try and pop my passengerside lock and bend the door in the process. That was $500 damage, but the insurance company paid for it. The first time it was broken into they did almost $2000 damage to get a $300 CD player. Once again, thank God for insurance. They knew what they were doing though because the alarm never went off. I always take the face off my CD player now wherever I go and I never leave anything in it. Its a real PITA, but its been working for me since then. Knock on wood.

Last edited:
dogtired said:
Freaking thieves!

They busted my driver's side rear passenger window, the stationary glass. Dang! Stole a bunch of stuff, DVD home player, bookbag, mountain biking gloves and my medication! They even stole my TB spacer which I was planning to install this weekend! F*ckers! I think they watched me work on my Jeep, because I was installin my hitch from 5PM till 11AM. Went to bed at 12AM, and got up 4AM to go to work. D@mn! Shattered glass everywhere. Got shafted by the insurance company, the loss was not enuff to file a claim they said. They did however said they will take care of the glass!

Well, the glassman came to the house and replace the glass in ten minutes. He told me the part that was so expensive is that the divider that separates the main glass that rolss up and down is bonded to the glass permanetly, and the list price was listed new at $919.00! The insurance paid the actual cost $425.00, including labor. The next big expensive thing according to him was the rear hatch glass... he said it is around $1,500! :wow:

Anybody has a good suggestion on getting an alarm? I need one soon.

Where are ya in Orlando? Only problems with car breakins up here in Longwood so far were a result of us leaving car doors unlocked... some kids got into a few cars right next to my house, took a video camera and a CD people from my next door neighbors. all they got away with from my house was a box of Cheez-Its left under the seat in the minivan. :D

Sentry system on newer XJs is completly worthless... mine was stolen for a joy ride with the system. When it was foudn adn I went to pick it up it wouldn't start for me. Nice. I have since installed an alarm with a remote pager.

brtb said:
Where are ya in Orlando? Only problems with car breakins up here in Longwood so far were a result of us leaving car doors unlocked... some kids got into a few cars right next to my house, took a video camera and a CD people from my next door neighbors. all they got away with from my house was a box of Cheez-Its left under the seat in the minivan. :D

about 2 miles from seaworld, I guess I am at the other side of town, my neighborhood is ok, but the surrounding areas are SUSPECT! :eyes:

Back