• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat without a an air bleed valve

Slonopotam said:
Just got OEM termostat package. Why does it have 3 different gaskets, I recognize only 1 of them ?
It is for 3 different cars ?
Not a clue, every oem one I have ever gotten has only come with one gasket and it fits both the 4.0 in the XJ and ZJ plus the 2.5's in the TJ's.

Installed the OEM thermostat with one of the gaskets, engine temp back to 200F.

Slonopotam said:
Installed the OEM thermostat with one of the gaskets, engine temp back to 200F.

Cool, glad it worked out for you! One of those "If it ain't broke, WHY fix it?" moments...

CanMan said:
I dont see why it was a big problem not to have a bleed hole in an aftermarket one. Replaced mine over 2 years ago, no problems. Glad to hear it is fixed though.
It varies, without the bleed hole you can end up with an air space up near the sensor, actually end up with steam up there that tends to stay there and won't give good readings to the sensor. I've seen it happen and just replacing the tstat with a bleed hole, either OEM or aftermarket, fixes the problem. I like to keep things simple, I *know* the OEM works so thats what I replace it with. I've got 4 of them in my parts drawer along with factory gaskets and pressure caps. Last month I had fits getting an aftermarket gasket to seal, went thru 2 of them on the ZJ's 4.0, freezing my ass off in the snow and sleet, finally went out and picked up a dealer gasket and all was good. Changing the tstat on a ZJ 4.0 is a about a 8 on the 1-10 PIA scale, the belt has to come off to get at the bottom bolt of the housing. Also ordered those 4 tstats/gaskets that are in my drawer now. The tstat that was in there came out in pieces, two of which I had to fish out of the head. Now its running nice and normal, milage went up to 20 around town and 22 hiway from the 12 it was doing in cold loop from the bad tstat.

Back