• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat housing gasket won't seal!

5-90 said:
I'd also answered your PM, but didn't know you'd posted in the open.

I rechecked that figure in the FSM, and it is correct. It still seems a bit high to me, but it's correct.

I've probably just been using 12-13 pound-feet out of sheer force of habit - since the pressure involved is relatively low, and the sealing area relatively large, it's never been a problem for me.

That low figure may just be something I picked up when I was doing mainly SBChevvy work, and I just kept it around in my head.

Time to burn the Haynes:laugh3:!

Thanks 5-90,

Tim

I just replaced the thermostat and radiator in my 89, and had the little seep to. not having another drivable car (amazing what a quarter million gallons of water will do to a car) I drove to town to buy a new gasket. Lo and behold when I got home no leak. That was three days ago and still no seepage.

And, unlike the rest of you, I find chiltons manuals to be vary useful, to raise the jack up if I have a flat

I have the same issue. Its passing no matter how many gaskets or permeates gasket making I rub on there. So... tomorrow ill go back into town and get a new housing.

Stay tuned.

thermostat_zps4ed4hpfa.jpg
script>
I had to get the new housing, finally stopped leaking. I didn't even have to use the toopaste gasketmaker, just one gasket.

Back