• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Yeti

I see it now, that shock mount is at least an inch inboard, and three inches higher than stock mounts. I remember Tom Houston telling me he wished he'd retained the shock travel on his rig.

20170610211315-4e9aaee5-xl.jpg

When I had flush mount lower shock mounts on my xj I had to go to a short body 8" shock and even then still had limited up travel. I ended up going to a lower hanging shock mount .

When I moved my shock mounts up onto the axle I out boarded them as far as possible and ended up having to go with an 8" travel shock. A little more down travel would be nice but it works pretty decent.

I must not "wheel," I have yet to get hung up on the factory shock mount.

I can cut the mounts off that D-35 you gave to me...

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer guys. My front shocks are too long as well so I might as well just get a full set. Looks like I'll have to go with the 8" travel variety, at least out back.

I should have a set of those sitting in my basement if you're interested? I'll take a look when I get home.

You got me wondering with my upcoming 8.8 swap.

However, I'll be running TNT U-bolt eliminators.

I plan on trying to outboard the axle side mount to nearly under part of the mount, i.e. a couple inches further toward the wheel than you have.

I used the mounts that came with my ruff stuff 8.8 kit. I out boarded the mounts so they straddle the inner u bolt. I think I have maybe 4-5 inches of shaft showing. I can tell it's using the majority of it but haven'tvent had any issues yet

Getting down to the wire on this pile. Rock sliders are supposed to deliver Thursday and a new heater control valve Friday. In the time is has sat my coolant bottle has run down to nothing. Finally got around to figuring out where it was going. Still need to put oil in the diffs, center/adjust the trac bar, mount the front bumper/modify the brackets and deal with the rear shock mounts. Really wanted some time to at least get one run in before I commit a week to driving it but what can ya do. Some of the beautification will have to come after COFest.

i.php

looks nice, DJ.

So the "grinding" that kept me from bringing the rig to COFest ended up being the muffler. With the rig loaded down for camping I lost enough lift height that the driveshaft was kissing it on every revolution. Annoyed that I wasn't able to see if the morning of, I probably could have BFH'd my way to Buena Vista.

i.php

The muffler was rusting through so it was on my list to replace anyways. I could not find anyone who has run this so I decided to give it a shot. I needed something considerably smaller than the stock muffler but I am not a fan of loud exhaust.

20170815195505-6301cb7e-xl.jpg

20170815195508-b3e9c0b7-xl.jpg

On this rare occasion the old stuff came right off and I had the new pieces on in about an hour start to finish. Plenty of clearance now and I am pretty content with the sound. It has a nice rumble to it but not obnoxious at all. Haven't tested it yet for drone on the highway but I took the RPM up and am confident it's not going to be an issue.

20170815195512-47f31449-xl.jpg

Picked up some other goodies as well. Valve cover/oil pan gaskets, rear main seal, new pcv stuff and a fan shroud. My old shroud was missing the top half of it. I've done the vc, shroud, and pcv stuff so far. Will get to the pan and seal at some point. It's got a pretty significant oil leak.

20170815200655-90c59c12-xl.jpg

20170815200701-c159e1bd-xl.jpg

Oh and before and after on the rear wiper.

20170815201024-5fba56bb-xl.jpg

20170815201030-09a963f2-xl.jpg

Last edited:
Where did you get your tailpipe? Do you have a part #? I haven't been able to find a nice piece without crappy pinched bends. Looks like yours is mandrel bent.

How do you like the flat flares? Been thinking of going that route.

Nice build!!!

Where did you get your tailpipe? Do you have a part #? I haven't been able to find a nice piece without crappy pinched bends. Looks like yours is mandrel bent.

Yep, that's it. Bought it straight from Holley as well, I did not see a lower price anywhere.

How do you like the flat flares? Been thinking of going that route.

I do not hate them but I am not in love with the look either, I'm pretty particular though. They are a solid flare and cleanly open up your fenders front to back quite a bit. I would never pay the $400+ for them new though.

Back