• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the what's left you stranded thread

Re: the what's left you straded thread

Ha, I'll have to take a picture of my waterpump.

The shaft is still in it but it's at a 45* angle and is locked down hard.

(3 Water pumps in the past month, 3 different Jeeps)

Did I ever mention how much I hate water pumps?

I know that feeling.

That happened 2,170 miles from home. Luckily I was 214 miles from my destination and AAA Premiere gives me one 200 mile tow a year. The annoying part was that was a brand new water pump, it had probably 2,400 miles on it; I had only replaced it because I didn't know how old the old one was.

I was headed to a local Jeep club meeting. I was almost there so I had the Jeep towed the rest of the way to the meeting and someone there lived close by and had a truck and trailer.

Mine manage to spit out the shaft and pulley out of the Jeep when mine fell apart. Couldn't find the pulley any off the road, so that added a trip to the junkyard later that week to get one.

Mine manage to spit out the shaft and pulley out of the Jeep when mine fell apart. Couldn't find the pulley any off the road, so that added a trip to the junkyard later that week to get one.

Be glad it didn't spit it through your radiator like my fan clutch failure on my other Jeep.

Not+Fun.jpg

Radiator+Damage+Detail.JPG

Separation.jpg

There's a reason my spare parts box includes a water pump. I've never had one fail like that, but enough other people have.

If I'm going somewhere over 500 miles away with a base camp I'll bring extended spares to leave there, otherwise I just play the odds. It's way too much weight to bring a full load out of tools/spares everywhere I go, not to mention the inconvenience of having a full cargo area.

I've only needed a tow 3 times in my Jeeps.

1: On my 91 the accessory belt came apart and took out the transmission cooler lines with it.

2: Piston #5 on my 2000
piston.jpg

3: A year later the cam sensor/oil pump drive seized up.

96 XJ:
first time I went wheeling, I ripped two of the control arm mounts off the front axle housing, they were rustier than I thought. Flatbed ride home.

A few trips later, after a new axle, the wiring harness to the rear O2 sensor fell off the body clip and spent about 40 miles riding on the rear driveshaft. Eventually it wore through the insulation on all the wires, twisted them tightly together, and as a result blew the fuse that runs the alternator, ignition coil, injectors, ECU, and O2 sensors. For some reason, that was enough to make it stop running. Fixed it with a roll of electrical tape and a new fuse and drove it home.

After that it didn't strand me for a long, long time. It had every right to, I beat the hell out of it.

Finally, it shit out chunks of torque converter on the side of i81 in Pennsylvania on the way to NACFest '11. I parted it out at Rausch Creek and it lives on in at least six different NAXJA members jeeps now.

91 MJ:
stranded me on the trail with a blown upper radiator hose last fall after the thermostat stuck closed. A friend hauled me to the nearest parts store and back, I fixed it, and drove home.

98 XJ:
hasn't stranded me yet, but I'm sure it will eventually. Damn thing is the worst purchase I ever made.

58 M54A2:
blew all the belts on the way home from buying it, overheated, blew the head gasket a few hundred miles later.

This left me stranded for a few hours this last weekend

20120226_135205.jpg

Ended up pulling the drive axles and driveshaft to drive it nearly 200 miles home

The only thing that left me truely stranded to the point I had to get a tow was an oil pump on my 76 Dodge Power Wagon

speaking of waterpumps....
1.jpg

that would be a mini leatherman that seized my waterpump pulley and luckily it caused enough drag on my motor to shut my jeep off before the belt got shredded.. Never could figure out who the hell left a mini leatherman in the hood of my jeep until about 5 months later a friend came over and saw the leatherman sitting on my toolbox and said, dude i used to have one of those but I lost it..:doh: i think i killed him after that i cant remember..

But this happened to my other buddy 2 days ago.
4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

with front wheel drive and some towing we made it out of there..

It's not a difficult as you might think. As soon as you ding the tube, by hitting on a rock to put a crease or a bend in it, it loses a lot of strength. Bind up the rear axle, and it takes a lot less torque then to spin into a drill bit.

Mike Reynolds (MJR) twisted his rear d/s out in Moab a few years ago into a perfect spiral and separated it into 2 pieces.

It's not a difficult as you might think. As soon as you ding the tube, by hitting on a rock to put a crease or a bend in it, it loses a lot of strength. Bind up the rear axle, and it takes a lot less torque then to spin into a drill bit.

Mike Rollins (MJR) twisted his rear d/s out in Moab a few years ago into a perfect spiral and separated it into 2 pieces.

Mostly, duct tape, speaker wire, etc got me home. Only time I had to walk out was when my buddy's Scrambler spit out the rear drive shaft(split the upper double-cardan cage) when we had (stupidly) gone wheeling with the front driveshaft out. A ten hour walk. It was fun.

My jeep left me stranded for the first time last weekend. The alternator went out and it died in the left turn lane on the highway:scared:! It was really fun pushing it across the highway hoping oncoming traffic was going to stop!:laugh3:

My jeep left me stranded for the first time last weekend. The alternator went out and it died in the left turn lane on the highway:scared:! It was really fun pushing it across the highway hoping oncoming traffic was going to stop!:laugh3:

what kinda lame battery do you have? i drove for 2 hours with no alternator, made it home, changed the alternator and the battery was still fine.

I did an hour or two of trail riding with no alternator a few weeks ago... ran fine, headlights were dim though.

I'm pretty sure it had been dying for weeks because I couldn't get the battery to hold a charge for most of november and december. Replaced the battery, then the alternator shit the bed.

i have had my transfer case shift forks melt 3 times and leave me with only low range.
i was always able to drive it, so i dont know if i would call that stranded.

had 3 coils go out on me. one time it was across the street from a parts store, so i fixed it then and there. next time it was while wheeling, i had a spare on me. third time it was around midnight on the highway far from home. i pushed my jeep off the exit by myself and slept in it overnight then walked to a parts store a few miles away.

had a rear wheel bearing go out. limped it to a hotel, slept, and went to a parts store the next day

stripped my rear ring and pinion once, just towed it home.

then there was the time my motor blew apart and caught the jeep on fire. i was able to put the fire out pretty quickly before too much damage was done
partout014.jpg

partout018.jpg

partout019.jpg

partout010.jpg

other than that i was always able to limp it home or fix it

I think Ken and KTM win (or lose) for being the worst kinds of abusive bastards to their vehicles.

As for running on battery - When my MobiArc failed it would cut the alternator when it got warm, noticed it when I burnt my electric fan up on the trail (was rubbing on something). Ran a slow paced trail with no e-fan means it was getting hot (enough for me to shut it down and wait a few times). Every time it would get past about 225 or so the alternator would cut out and I'd be on battery. Luckily I had brought a jump start box with me. Each time it would be cool enough to run the alternator I'd turn my inverter on and charge the jump box.

Once I got back on the highway there was no issues since I was maintaining enough speed for the e fan not to matter.

i have had my transfer case shift forks melt 3 times and leave me with only low range.
i was always able to drive it, so i dont know if i would call that stranded.

had 3 coils go out on me. one time it was across the street from a parts store, so i fixed it then and there. next time it was while wheeling, i had a spare on me. third time it was around midnight on the highway far from home. i pushed my jeep off the exit by myself and slept in it overnight then walked to a parts store a few miles away.

had a rear wheel bearing go out. limped it to a hotel, slept, and went to a parts store the next day

stripped my rear ring and pinion once, just towed it home.

then there was the time my motor blew apart and caught the jeep on fire. i was able to put the fire out pretty quickly before too much damage was done

i feel cool bc i was there for most of these.

I blew that idler pulley on my old XJ at 830 at night in Waterbury, CT near the mall(not a good area) but luckily had a freind bring me a new one and another friend help my fix it and done.
Ive had a few coil pack blow on my 99, the last one was on the first date with my Girlfriend in the ghetto again, ended up going to the movies with her and calling for a tow when we got out. An interesting first date to say the least.

Back