• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the new hypertech computer

Any one have experience with the Venom programer for a 98 4.0?
It was recomended to me by a local 4x4 shop

pbureau said:
If I buy it (yearly bonus came in hehehe...time to add stuff on jeep) will you all rent it for 50$/one week.? (deposit required of course..)

lmk.

If it works like the Super Duty diesel programmers, it will only do one vehicle because it stores the VIN. I am sure that they do it specifically to prevent what you are trying to do. I wonder if there is a "hack" to get around that........

well I can always test it on my 3 xj's.. it would be REALLY expensive for 1 vehicule... maybe I will send them an email about it and see whats the reply on that question.

pbureau said:
well I can always test it on my 3 xj's.. it would be REALLY expensive for 1 vehicule... maybe I will send them an email about it and see whats the reply on that question.

Apparently you can only use it on ONE vehicle.

ZmOz said:
Apparently you can only use it on ONE vehicle.

You can only use the Hypertech programmer on ONE VEHICLE AT A TIME. If you want to use it on a second vehicle, you must reprogram the stock parameters back into the computer of the first vehicle.

Get started on the work around. If it is the VIN there must be a way to change it so the dealer can replace computers. Make all of your vehicles have the same "computer VIN". If some DMV guy says something, say you have a used replacement. It is more likely a chipset/motherboard id like your computer. That would be hard to crack. Figure out which pin of the connector and hang a box on there? It is probably a data thing across a bunch of pins. Better would be, on our Snap-On scanner you type in the vin to figure out manual/auto, XJ/ZJ etc., then it scans. Maybe you could do a bunch of similar stuff with it before reverting one (at the used car lot). If there is a 1 car thing, that sucks. I hope someone figures out how to get around it. I have 3 4.0 OBDII Jeeps. I would buy one. MIKE

For the money this thing costs...if any of you who have even mild technical experience are considering this...I urge you to look at a MegaSquirt fuel computer...you can get built kits off eBay ready to go if you don't feel comfortable doing all the soldering yourself... But that will give you REAL HP gains...granted I have not seen numbers on an XJ, I havn't even heard of anyone that has done it yet (I am planning to) but I have also not looked very hard for people who have done it... But since you program your fuel maps yourself with a laptop (or any computer if you have a long enough cord :)), any mod you do, you have the power to go make changes to take full advantage of the changes you've made...

Granted this is definitely NOT a "bolt on"...you do need to know what you're doing under the hood and experience with electronics is a plus.

After installed, just hook up a laptop and go to town...bolt on a new header and exhaust, reprogram your maps and you will actually see the manufacturer's claims :)

I was also interested in this recently, after finding that my new XJ downshifts on the highway, where my '90 wouldn't, with the same tires and lift installed. My wife made an appointment with the stealership to try and get my shift points changed. My XJ is a '00 with the AW-4 and 242 T/C, and I'm pretty sure it's computer controlled. Dropped it off, and got a call a few hours later sayng that they couldn't change the shift points. I asked why, and they said some have a 'transducer', and are programmable, but mine lacked that option. I would need one first, and was referred to my local 4x4 shop. As soon as I get back into town, I'm going to go back and get more info.

I've also asked different folks, and was told that these programmers will only work for one vehicle. I have two 4.0L Jeeps ('00 XJ and '02 TJ) and if I spent that kind of money for one, it better be able to tune both. Would be an added bonus if it worked on my '97 ZJ too, but it's still stock.

Back