• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

Does anyone know if on an aw4 are the output shafts the same 2wd to 4wd...I'm looking to take the tailbone off a 2wd one and a 4wd housing on it so I don't have to swap transmissions

Does anyone know if on an aw4 are the output shafts the same 2wd to 4wd...I'm looking to take the tailbone off a 2wd one and a 4wd housing on it so I don't have to swap transmissions

As far as I know, there is a lot more to switching a 2wd trans to 4wd trans than just the tailcone. I think there are internal parts you need to get to (possibly go in from the front side? I can't remember). That is usually why everyone just does the trans swap, because it is easier.

Ken would probably know better.

Ken says no...so it must be true...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970
This write-up does not attempt to cover the 2wd editions of the AW4 as thoroughly as the 4wd. The major difference is the addition of another year split - 1995 and earlier 2WD AW4s will have the old style slip yoke and output seal while 1996 and later 2WD AW4s will have the new style slip yoke and output seal, as well as dust slinger. The vehicle speed sensor is also located in the transmission tailhousing. A 2wd AW4 cannot be converted to a 4WD unit without full disassembly as the output shaft is a different length, has 27 splines (to match the slip yoke used on the rear output of 4WD XJ transfer cases) rather than 21 or 23 splines, and includes the 13 tooth worm gear for the VSS or speedo takeoff which would otherwise be in the tailcone of the transfer case.

Ken? :helpme:

I just heard Two Tongues this morning for the first time. In other lame emo news, I might seriously consider going to california for this. Well, I wanted to go anyway but this could determine the date.

lineup.png

Yup, lineup is insane. Also, two tongues is (was?) awesome.

Yup, lineup is insane. Also, two tongues is (was?) awesome.

I'm not even super excited about the headliners. I just don't think I'd get a chance to see the anniversary or hot rod circuit ever again. I guess the get up kids are cool too. Plus, I want to go to California. I'll have had about ten months of climbing(at least in a gym) and hopefully some outside by the time I get out there, so I'd like to try some quintessential climbing while I'm out there. There's a tiny chance I might still want to drive a truck back but I think I've convinced myself against it. Ken wants to give me one that's close to what I want. We'll see.

I get to see Travis tomorrow. We should be able to get a pretty good make out session in.

... and I have a vehicle with a Dana 60 again.

Dana60_UnderCar.jpg

Yup and 35-spline alloys, discs, truetrac, yada yada.
So anxious to drive it.

Now it needs a motor that requires that kind of heft :D

Looks sweet dude.
In due time. :shhh:

Thanks.
Looks awesome Bill! Any more pics of the whole car?
Nothing current unless you want shots during the install process, without an axle under, or just sitting on jackstands.

Here's it is back in November. The new leaf springs I put in it are supposed to be +1" to get the back end out of the weeds, along with new rolling stock all the way around too. Much narrower axle and relocated springs will allow for some wider rubber. Hopeing for a least 285s, maybe 295s or 315s.

Challenger_Nov2015_2.jpg

Challenger_Nov2015_1.jpg

wtf there is one other person sitting near me in the office today and i really need to fart so its not like i release it and make it a mystery

Got bad thoughts about another project. Something hotrod roadsterish butt jeep based, ideally it be a Jeepster tub (I can dream right?)
2wd 4.0/AX15
2wd WJ Axles
WK SRT 20's obviously the tub and wheels won't be cheap or easy to find but the rest is easy and very cheap to get. Just want a fun summer driver

Back