• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the moneypit MJ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that plug may be for the overhead consol.

I was thinking that too. although it seems like even the late models use two plugs for the OHC. I just hope it wasnt for something underneath the dash.

You can fix that when you do your sweet audio set up with 6" round door speakers - or just put something like this in to cover the hole and use stock door speakers:

my thinking as well, although i sure would prefer that they didnt have them to begin with.

Hey, im looking for a nice aftermarket/oem style replacement for the side interior lights. I remember seeing one somewhere on the internet where a guy had a part number that fit a manche. i thought it was mancheforum, but i didnt find it.

Anybody know what im talking about or have a suggestion on what to use?

good lookin out darren. I actually just found the thread too. I emailed sales@euramtech and got a nearly instantaneous snide response. "go look on ebay"

So I did, looks like theyve doubled the pric of them to 16$ each. nice guy.

Last edited:
I will have to look, but I think I may have a few oem interior side lights.

After taking a few diggers on the snowmobile yesterday, i didnt want to do much work on the MJ today. But I kept thinking about the RE 5.5" longarm setup i had, would it fit? I decided at the start of the project that if I had to modify the kit, I would just sell it and build my own.

SO I limped out there today and slid it under. there is a MJ floor brace that prevents the RE setup from bolting in, but I decided to remove it. I might modify it and reinstall later, depend how I feel about it though.

Anyway, heres the offending floor brace:

004.jpg

here is the kit mocked up after i hacked the brace out.

002.jpg

008-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

Im getting a little concerned that I wont be clearing the 35's quite the way I had hoped with the 5.5 rubicon kit. If they rub, ill be stepping down to 33's, which isnt ideal but i refuse to trim these fenders.

Oh, heres my wheel/ tire combo.

001-3.jpg

I have bushwacker flat flares and ran 37s in the snow yesterday and only rubbed a little I know I would of been okay with 35s I have a 5.5 short arm Rubicon express. I don't know if you want to cut those nice fenders up but I think they good. Just some food for thought.

Hey, im looking for a nice aftermarket/oem style replacement for the side interior lights. I remember seeing one somewhere on the internet where a guy had a part number that fit a manche. i thought it was mancheforum, but i didnt find it.

Anybody know what im talking about or have a suggestion on what to use?

I'd wire up some LED's.... ditch the stocker bulbs all together.
Here's site that you can buy replacement LED style bulbs that go into the OEM locations. Seen these before and they look great. (they got 'em for the whole dash if you want to go that far)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

And as far as your doors go, if you decide to go with some aftermarket speakers, they come with grills that will fill/cover those holes nice enough. You could always spray the grill to match. (might have to mix up your own color to match exactly then airbrush it on - but its an option.) The other thing you could do is go custom. Fab up some pods for those locations, using some fiberglass and kitty hair. Then cover it with matching vinyl. You can find OEM matching vinyl (or carpet, grill cloth, healdiner material, etc...) from a place called Perfect-Fit, in Portland. I've used them for many projects in the past.

I'd wire up some LED's.... ditch the stocker bulbs all together.
Here's site that you can buy replacement LED style bulbs that go into the OEM locations. Seen these before and they look great. (they got 'em for the whole dash if you want to go that far)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

And as far as your doors go, if you decide to go with some aftermarket speakers, they come with grills that will fill/cover those holes nice enough. You could always spray the grill to match. (might have to mix up your own color to match exactly then airbrush it on - but its an option.) The other thing you could do is go custom. Fab up some pods for those locations, using some fiberglass and kitty hair. Then cover it with matching vinyl. You can find OEM matching vinyl (or carpet, grill cloth, healdiner material, etc...) from a place called Perfect-Fit, in Portland. I've used them for many projects in the past.

Im all about using leds actually. i need housings though, and those ones seem to fit the interior design.

When I get a little further on this truck, id like to pick your brain about some custom enclosures for the rear, that dont sacrifice interior room.

Ive been thinking Id like to use a stock head unit and add a amp and run good speakers, maybe an 8" sub in the back.

I really like the look of the stock style head units. I have one from a similar year dodge pickup that has the same plug ins as stock, but more user options.

maybe if you have some time, i can sucker you into dropping by for a beer then extract information from ya. :cheers:

Nothing really pic worthy in the last few days. just installed the long arm setup, buttoned up some things inside, installed the brake system, emissions plumbing, fuel line etc.

today i got the engine dropped in , went ahead and wired it all up. at this point, everything under the hood is now complete minus the heater core lines. need to pick up some new ones tomorrow.
002-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

Also had a good friend redo my headliner. i had bought a backer from a junkyard for 30$, and it was super rough. the entire front lip was broken up, as well as there being holes across the thing.

anyhow, i threw that in tonight as well.

004-2.jpg

Have you really done all that work since the 25th?!

Well done sir, truly well done. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

thanks man.

I actually started around the 1st of december. finished fab work around 4th,the got it back from paint on about the 25th.

So ive been contemplating how im going to configure my fuel system. in '96, the jeep switched to a single fuel supply line, ditching the return line. they did this by building a overpressure regulator into the fuel pump cage, inside the tank.

I considered ditching the renix saddlebag tank and just mounting the cherokee tank where the spare tire goes. while providing for a simple hookup, it would have created issues with the fuel door location.

I decided to look at a 97-up regulator for inspiration. the answer soon became clear.

the fuel enters the regulator through that small black nipple, and the overfuel exits on the perimeter of that nipple. a purely mechanical pressure driven system.
I_1080975_CL_1.jpg

As I have several of these regulators, i decided to play with one. seems to me, I could just plumb that factory reg inline on my pump assembly and get the desired results.

but first i had to be sure the returned fuel wouldn't be blocked by the thickness of my supply hose.

I solved this by trimming about 3/16" off the end of the housing.
002-3.jpg

004-3.jpg

Finished product installed:

003-4.jpg

Overall a very simple solution to a problem that was bugging me.

I also made a pig tail to connect the new late model harness to the old MJ fuel frame assembly. this way, there are very few custom parts, making replacement simple down the rd.

haven't gotten to the sending unit wiring yet, but I anticipate hassle. I assume they both work off ohms, so i can probably modify the ohm reading to make it work.

WIth the fuel system online, and the engine bay wired, all i had to do was hit the key.

It lives.

005-1.jpg

I scabbed some exhaust I had kicking around onto it so I could hear it run.
sounds excellent aside from a front bank exhaust leak.
no miss, no noises. oil pressure 50 psi @ hot idle. No check engine lights even.

Satisfaction.

So i pushed it outside for some sun. there I decided to throw my tires on.
Or at least half of them.

006-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

I need axles.

Such a beast! So slick, Love it!

thanks. overall, im very happy with the look.

I slid a rear axle in it tonight and stuck the rear tires on, looks way sweet.

Really this build is mostly about the look and the comfort. ya' know, daily driver stuff. ive got a built xj to beat on.

I had some used 5k HIDs in the shop, I went ahead and threw them in.
I dont know anything about them, but i think Ive got a bad bulb. it worked for a little bit, then stopped. anybody have a source for hid bulbs? i dont want to spend too mcyuch, i think HIDs are a gimmick. if its over 100 bucks for bulbs Ill go back to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back