• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The metalbreak line...

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
that runs from the master cylinder to the rear of the XJ is rusted badly in several places. I want to replace it before it fails. Where is the best place to get a replacement? Wile I am at it, I would also like to replace the OEM flexible line to the diff with something longer. On the front I am using a set of flexibles from a TJ which is so-so in my opinion. The rear needs to be a couple of inches linger. TIA.

The best (most close to OEM) way to fix your brake line is to buy one that is pre-flared at both ends, and then cut, bend, and reflare it to the exact length you need. This, of course, will require a flaring tool and a tube bender, but results in a perfect match to the original factory lines.

I suggest as an alternative that you figure out approximately how long the original is, and then buy several pieces of prefab brake line at the autoparts store of your choice, along with sufficient double-female connectors to join them. These parts are cheap, so make your initial estimate a little long, and get the parts for that estimate, and then get one extra (and a connector) that's a little shorter. Now, without having to do contortions or trying to bend a single piece to the right shape and size all at once, you can splice together a brake line of the correct, or nearly correct, length. If it's a little long you can do a graceful loop or arc at the master cylinder end. If it's way too long, use the shorter spare piece, and if it's way too short, add the shorter piece. If you have a piece left over, either return it or keep it in stock, because you'll almost certainly need it someday.

When the lines rust again a few years down the road, they will be much easier to fix, because the brass connectors will allow you to replace bad sections individually.

Locally here, we have a place called "tubes and hoses" they specialize in fabricating metal and rubber hoses. Given the length and the connector types they will fabricate it for cheap. Then a $5 bender from HF will allow you to route the tubing exactly where you want. I am sure you can find a similar company in your neck of the woods. Alternatively you could buy a good flare/crimp tool. Not a cheap HF unit. To do stainless line, you should get a good set such as SnapOn or the like. By the way, I thought that the stock lines were stainless.

www.eastwood.com also has a good flare tool set.

Thanks guys. I think I will try the 'several pieces and connectors ' approach.

Back