• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Colorado Rant/Vent thread

Jeezus......... 7500 rounds in a week? If you spent all 40 hours of that week shooting, that's 187.5 rounds per hour.......

Cheap 9mm is about $9 for a box of 50, so say $.055 cents per round....... that's $4125 in ammo......... :eek:

Jeezus......... 7500 rounds in a week? If you spent all 40 hours of that week shooting, that's 187.5 rounds per hour.......

Cheap 9mm is about $9 for a box of 50, so say $.055 cents per round....... that's $4125 in ammo......... :eek:

Yeah, welcome to about half the cost of the academy! haha and they were 10-12 days for 8 days straight.

So call it 70 hours of actual shooting time with 10-15 hours of down time for breaks and meals and instruction making up the rest of it. thats 107 rounds per hour, or 6.3 mags (17 rounds) per hour. 6 mags per hour is not much shooting unfortunately lol My thumbs tended to disagree when loading ammo though!

Last edited:
i didnt go through 7500 rounds in academy but i did put a couple grand down the tube. We were shooting G17s and I was lucky enough to get one of the 4th gens at the range. I hate glocks - weather they go bang every time or not - but i did do pretty well with the 4th gen.

What agency are you working for? Feel free to PM me if you dont want to post publicly, or even just ignore me all together if you'd like :dunce:

Oh, and the only reason I carry Glock is that they work, and I shoot well with them with very little effort... I wasnt really a fan until the academy and put about 7,500 rounds through one in just over a week...

Glock.......... the perfect handgun!

What agency are you working for? Feel free to PM me if you dont want to post publicly, or even just ignore me all together if you'd like :dunce:

Im actually not /w an agency right now, and my POST expired a few years ago... I've been working in the private sector doing some corperate/exec work lately. Its actually pretty nice! I did however just apply in Lafeyette as an evidence and records tech. I figured a foot in the door is a good thing and if I re-up my POST it could be the key to a job!

I know I've read about people putting bad parts in before. Just had my first experience with it. I've been short on time and motivation, so I just got around to putting the radiator in.

I know most are in the opinion of a metal tank, but seriously tight on cash right now. Went for the Optima from Orielly. Get it buttoned up, pour straight coolant concentrate in, starts pouring right back on the ground. Always listen to your gut. Before I installed it, I thought to myself that I should check the draincock to make sure it is tight but it got dark yesterday and forgot when I started again today. So after it stops draining, I reach up in there and it seems like it is tight...Remove the whole rad out, and find that the plastic tank is cracked right at the plug. Looks like someone dropped it on the plug at the factory.

Side note, it didn't fit anyway, there were two extra receptors for the fan shroud tabs that prevented the shroud from dropping into place that I had to hacksaw out. So I go to Napa, buy a Spectra for a few extra bucks. Looks like much better construction and the oil fittings are already installed.

Take the Optima back to Orielly on 38th and Federal. They, like always, have the music cranked. I like loud music, but time and place people. While I was standing there waiting, employee says to a customer on the phone "What, I can't hear you?" No kidding.

So I get my turn, and Sergio gives me a bunch of grief about the whole thing. No apology for selling a broken part, wasting my time driving back and forth, and the extra couple hours to do the job twice. Says if I want to get reimbursed for the coolant, I'll have to come back and talk to a manager. Yeah, I'll be doing that, as well as talking to the district manager. Not my first bad experience at this store. And people wonder why they can't find jobs. Just how smart do you have to be to not piss someone off while working a counter?

Last edited:
As bad as you experience was...

The retail shop is only legally liable for replacing the defective part they sold. It sucks but there it is. Maybe O'Reilly will have a corporate conscience. Point out that you are a member of a National Jeep Club. Letting them know that you can post up a follow on to this may get the coolant replaced. If it does, let us know. If not, let us know.

What I do know, is that part prices (here in the Springs at any rate) went up when Checker went away. So if the policy is to charge more and deliver less, that would be good for all of us to know.

Thanks o gauge, technically I'm not a member, so won't be doing that. And it was definitely more about the attitude than the $10 for the fluid, although the extra couple of hours stings. But since I cut the quick-non-release out of there, don't have to deal with that again. Took about 1/4 of the time to get it out the second time which is usually the case the first time you try a new part in my previous experience.

It just really rubbed me the wrong way when Sergio asked me if I was bringing them a used radiator. I'm like look Sergio, do you see any bugs, any rocks, any road grime? Any bent fins, anything to indicate it's been used? Whatever. At least I found out there is a Napa close to my house I did not know about.

<rant>
This is getting really f'ing frustrating. I don't have ton of money to spend on my heep, so I keep my eye for used gear that I need because there is very little that I can afford new and I have very little to trade (most of my spare parts get sold off pretty quickly so I don't have a lot sitting around). But for the about the last 6 months straight, every decent deal I try to catch seems to hit a flaky or space case seller and the deal falls through. I know its the internet and all, but this $hit gets frustrating after a while. Or what's even more frustrating is to find a reasonable deal and have something break within 24 hours that sucks up all my heep funds so I'm right back where I started.
</rant>

Whatcha hunting for, Doug?

Whatcha hunting for, Doug?

Indeed. Post up when you're looking for something...... Hypoid has a good knowledge of the junk yards and I'm a friggin' parts hoarder..... :D

Generally, someone has, or knows where you can find what you're looking for if ya just let us know. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. That deal failing was my last straw yesterday so I blew into rant mode. (I also discovered yesterday that unless there is a minor miracle, due to my run-in with a table saw in August my left index fingernail will eventually be replaced by a chunk of scar tissue. I'm glad to not lose my finger, but for a while it looked like I'd be keeping the nail.)

My bastard pack rear is sucking bad, so I'm trying to find a decent 3" or 3.5" rear leaf pack and maybe an MJ rear shackle to go with it. I was looking at the BDS 3" leaves with the JDS 1.5" dogleg shackle, but that's $500!

Gawd I hate Craigs-tards.

My ad: http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2711468561.html .... "I DON'T HAVE ANY CARS, JUST THE SEATS AND PARTS IN THE PHOTOS BELOW."

The 'tards who call:

"Do you have a good dash pad in that parts car?"

"Do you have any front end parts?"

"Got any '70 grills?"

And 'tard of the year:

"Will those buckets fit in a '76 Duster?"

So, then I ask: "Did you read the ad? Do you see the parts in the photos?"

More than one of 'em replied: "Oh, no I didn't read the ad, I just saw Duster parts for sale."

And what is it about Mopar freaks? They either pull up in a $50K tow rig with Mopar club stickers on it and a story about the super-rare cars they're working on.... and try to low ball me telling me my stuff isn't special and can be bought all day long for way less......... or they're like Mongo from Blazing Saddles who show up with their wives who can't pronounce "R's" or "L's" so they replace 'em with "W's", they're both wearing thick-ass prescription glasses...... and browse over my box of parts like they're at a museum because they don't have any money.

:banghead:

Last edited:
My bastard pack rear is sucking bad, so I'm trying to find a decent 3" or 3.5" rear leaf pack and maybe an MJ rear shackle to go with it. I was looking at the BDS 3" leaves with the JDS 1.5" dogleg shackle, but that's $500!

You get what you pay for! Pay for good quality stuff or build it yourself......

You get what you pay for! Pay for good quality stuff or build it yourself......

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just trying to catch someone who might be upgrading or downgrading so I can actually afford get their used parts and not be stuck getting nothing since I can't afford full retail right now.

And how would you suggest building my own leaf pack, other than a bastard pack? :dunno:

I'll give you a heads up if I see anything in the yards. Big problem I have there, is that I can't search part numbers to ID them.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just trying to catch someone who might be upgrading or downgrading so I can actually afford get their used parts and not be stuck getting nothing since I can't afford full retail right now.

And how would you suggest building my own leaf pack, other than a bastard pack? :dunno:

A quality bastard pack can be built!!

SnowDumbassBook.gif

....that is all...

Back