• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Campmanche

Really nice find and it looks to be in great shape. 4x4 for the snow I could see. But other than that I would leave it bone stock. There is no way you could trailer a rig with it and expect your front wheels to stay on the ground.

Im not suggesting you motor swap it... I know you don't want to.

Id just like to say that it annoys me when people hack up their gauge clusters or put together an aftermarket set when doing a motor swap. You don't have to, especially on a 96 and earlier. Gauges:
Voltage - leave it wired how it is
oil pressure - install jeep oil sender somewhere in oiling system of new drivetrain. If its an american motor it'll probably be some npt thread or other, hit the home depot plumbing aisle.
coolant temp - same story
speedo - its just a 1000rev/mile speedo cable or 8000 pulse/mile pulse signal to the ecu, then a similar signal to the cluster. Iirc all mopar early ecus accept and output the same signal, that's what I found when I researched using a 1994 5.9 and its ecu with an obd1 jeep cluster anyways.
Tach - similar story. Renix is just wire it to the neg primary side of the ignition coil (on 6cyl motors), for 8cyl donors wire up a very simple circuit to divide the number of pulses by 2 and use a 4cyl tach. OBD1 HO is some easy number of pulses/rev, any mopar early ecu (5.2, 5.9, etc) puts out a compatible signal and generating it with an extra cps and some notches in the harmonic balancer on your donor motor would be easy too. I want to say its 2 pulses per rev.
Fuel - leave wiring alone

And thats all the gauges iirc! Tach/speedo are the hard ones, and they're easy on mopar motors and not that difficult on most others. 97+ xjs are quite a bit more involved and anyone who wanted aftermarket gauges anyways clearly don't apply here.

Last edited:
Back