• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

That CPS again

Test this part most likely your problem. I thought my coil was bad also but it wasn't.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...1180178_3542&keyword=ignition+pickup!s!stator

6194-1.jpg

Is this also called the CAM position sensor (CPS)
Do most people change the sensor on the side of the distributor as well?
Worth doing every 100k, etc?

Just went thru the whole shebang on my 99. Replaced O2 sensors, CPS, coil, distributor and ran fine for 20 miles then code popped up again. Same one over and over CPS bank 1. I cleared it and found wiring was really hot next to the block. I pulled the cap off and moved coil/distributor harness to the out side of distributor. Will see if that fixed it!

As I read post about different CPS & other sensors, and how they had failed at some point after install. Mine have been in for about 2 months, I went up to TSF this weekend and didn't even think about it. I guess that's a good thing. I did the CPS, coil, cap/rotor, plugs & wire. Jeep runs great for 245K. I did blow a power steering hose on FB5, simple fix no harm done.

Just went thru the whole shebang on my 99. Replaced O2 sensors, CPS, coil, distributor and ran fine for 20 miles then code popped up again. Same one over and over CPS bank 1. I cleared it and found wiring was really hot next to the block. I pulled the cap off and moved coil/distributor harness to the out side of distributor. Will see if that fixed it!

Well the wife took it to smog this morning and it passed the 1st part. Then the tech said that the battery had been disconnected, which I did do in order not to short anything out while replacing all I had done including the new distributor. He said she would have to put about 40 miles on it for the Comp. to read any problems/codes and to bring it back after that. She just called and said it passed and all was good. She said " I love you " but then told me I'd have to fend dinner for myself as she would be late! At least the XJ got probed!:moon:

Yup it had been the dist. all along had I checked it 1st the shaft bushing was worn. Luckily I was able to return the CPS since I bought the new dist. and it came with a new CPS. I had not installed it so they took it back. Saved $65.00.

I was told by the dealer that XJ's don't even have a CAM position sensor
They have a distributor switchplate.
It does NOT look like the above photo.
56041030.jpg

Well now im in this boat. A while back i hosed out the engine compartment, took it for a drive and i kept stalling. Got it home, and determined the TPS was bad. Problem solved. Just a few days ago i washed the engine bay again, fired it up and it started spitting/sputtering and ideling high, it wouldnt shift until high in the rpm's, disconnected the TPS and it ran good. put a new one in, fired it up and a check engine light came on, figured it was a 02 sensor as my exhaust is a bit loose. Today i fired it up, went inside and head it sputtering then died. Now it refuses to start, the rail has fuel, i have yet to check spark but im sure its there, cleaned cap and rotor, tested CPS and had 13.5 ohms which i think is good. Pulled the cps and it looks to be damaged, yet old damage. Any ideas on what else could have gone wrong when i hosed it down?

7e3ypeby.jpg

Its like going through the car wash.... You always wonder, "were is it going to leak this time"!!

I had similar problems years ago on my 95 changed the sender on the bell housing and fix the problem, it still runs good today. Fast forward to today my 99 was having similar problems hard starts, no starts, ect... Changed what the reader said which was O2 sensors, nothing. Changed the distributor CPS, nothing. Change the coil, nothing, cap and rotor nothing finally checked distributor because the reader finally after the O2's was giving me the same code. I found the distributor to have a little play in the shaft. I replaced it with a new one which was cheaper than a rebuilt one, Problem solved!!

well, i check for spark and thats good. the only thing i can think of is the MAP sensor or the IAC. the IAC seems to have a little play in it but some reasaon the MAP seems to make more sense seeing as if i dont start it for a while then try, it will run for about 1 second then cutout. gotta look for ways to test it now

well i checked the IAC and it was functioning... Checked and had spark... Checked CPS voltage.... Checked rail for fuel, had fuel in it. Poured a little fuel in the TB and it fired up and ran like crap. Put 2 gallons in the tank and its running like a champ with the new TPS :firedevil

i had 9 gallons in the 22 gallon dakota tank i put in. i guess its reserve must be 5 gallons. i havent driven it more than 30 mi and fire it up and let it idle a few times a week.

Back