• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TEXAS - Padre Island 6/16 thru 6/19

Roll-over

NAXJA Forum User
For fathers day some friends and I are heading down to PINS for some surf fishing! Anyone interested in joining? The area we are planning on fishing is about 25 miles of loose sand and eroded surf from the park headquarters. At around 50 miles down are a couple of ship wreck sites. Fishables in this area include tuna, bonita, specks, bull reds, black drum, and sharks.

Post up if you are interested or need directions!

-r0

Corpus area. We're taking S.P.I.D. down to Malaquite Beach and then 25 miles south to "Big Shell". You could take 100 (Queen Isabella)onto the island and then come up I guess... :dunno:

Driving conditions are a day-to-day thing... The general rule is 4wd only after 5 miles or so. The last time I went down there the tide had just gone out and it was like a gravel road. The time before that it was like quick sand after about 5-6 miles. So far there are three confirmed rigs on the trip so we should be able to pull each other out if need be. As for families... It's all guys so far, but if they like fishing and roughing it bring 'em!

OK... in case anyone's interested, here is the info !
I'll be leaving SA about 5am on the 16th as I have some business in Corpus. I plan to register at the park HQ by 11am and get some fishing and wheeling started. As there is atleast one 4x2 going, we'll meet up at the Maliquite beach visitor center around 8pm to take the low tide to Bigshell and set up camp, after that the beach is ours! Fivish miles south is "Devils Elbow" with what should the the best obsticles on the island.
In case anyone needs them the general directions are 37south to Corpus, South Padre Island Drive to park road 22 then south to PINS HQ. Admission and camping pass is $10 per week or $20 per year. rules and regs are available at the park web site @ http://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm . If you get lost or want to hook up when you get there I will be reachable at 210.260.8154 and CB channel 23 (28 backup).
The plan is to break camp and head home between 3-5pm monday, but there's also a low tide sunday morning for anyone who can't get monday off.

-r0

Back