• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TELLICO NEEDS US!!!!

rredalty

NAXJA Forum User
This is taken from the Pirate and might be in the land use forum on this site but I figured since this is home territory that it needs to be here also. If you have ever been or ever plan to go, respond to the "findings and their alternatives" be them good or bad. Keep an eye on SFWDA.ORG for any new happenings and be ready, it looks like there will only be a 30 day response time allowed for the public.

"To summarize, the EA will be out (released to the public) on Friday. Southern has been asked to attend a meeting where they (the FS) will summarize their findings and their alternatives. We will be attending.

To combat their science, SFWDA has been working behind the scenes and paid for our own analysis and has developed our own alternatives. THIS IS WHAT YOUR RESCUE TELLICO MONEY IS PAYING FOR.

Our study is meant to give us good solid standing for our comments to the EA. It is also a short and long term maintenence plan for the area. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT THE USFS HAS FAILED TO DO FOR 10 YEARS. We decided that if we are going to keep these trails open, we were going to have to do their jobs and take matters into our own hands.

We will be posting our study up on Southern's website (www.sfwda.org) as soon as we can too.

So it's time folks. Get ready...we'll report back as soon as we know anything."

Just bringing this back up to the top. We in the SEC need to follow JCR's lead and write letters and make calls to try and help Tellico survive.

Please visit the LAnd Use forum here on NAXJA to read all the information you can. JCR Offroad has a great thread going and has links to even more info.

Lets do what we can to help save Tellico.

You all should know that the BOD of NAXJA will not sit on the sidelines hoping that someone else fixes this problem.
We will be there to help!

No worries Rick. We know you guys are working on it.

NAXJA National is working on their end, now it's time to flex our muscles and help save Tellico. The best thing we can do is write a letter. I know it is a pain and takes time but letters count big time in something like this. JCR Offroad made up a same letter. Take it and tweak it, make it your own and mail it off.

Hey guys,

I started a thread on POR about sharing letters, to help ppl get ideas. Here is the link:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766967

I personally will help anyone write a letter if they need the help. Either send me a Email ([email protected]) or you can pm me here!

Write some letters and let's get our voice on the desk of the Forest Service!

If SFWDA doesnt sue the USFS, I will never support SFWDA again and I will urge all of my members to boycott them as well.

Keep your reins tight on your horse for the time being. Understand that they have to keep their cards close to their chest, as Trouts Unlimited monitors them online.

For now, Stay positive, write letters and we'll all see what is to come in less then a month!

I hear ya, but it is coming to a closure, mark my words. See, I spoke with Candace Wyman several years ago and she said then that they were not certain of Tellico's future (with an unsure tone in her voice) so I havent been holding my breath because there is an agenda here and it unfolds more and more every month. As much as I love Tellico and have been wheeling there for 12 years, I think it is near done. Yes, I support letter writing and even have a fund setup on ou site to help SFWDA, but this time, the man with the most money wins and I think it isnt SFWDA or it's affiliates.

If tellico is closed to wheelers it should be closed to fishing and all other activities.

If tellico is closed to wheelers it should be closed to fishing and all other activities.

agreed.... if travel on ohv trails is as damaging (which it isn't if it is handled and moderated properly) then travel and existence of the gravel and dust access roads produces just as much sediment. TU is just some hippie selfish feel good bastards that think theyre doing good in the world. But true enthusiasts, ie hunters fisherman responsible offraders etc, were the first natural conservationists and when they finally close it down for fisherman as well nobody is going to be willing to help those idiots.... plus the phrase closing public land is an oxymoron in itself, its there for the enjoyment of the people, not just one organization who has a better cockstroking ability

Actually I have been busy and trying to get some facts together but the docs are so big they will nto open. When is the deadline Mat?

I think you have approx 2.5 weeks left to respond.

We send out 12 letters yesterday from our Letter Campaign.

Why dont you post some info up for those if us that are slow readers and less experience at this sort of stuff. This is what I have so far. I'll print it out and mail it tomorrow but wnated some cc first.

Dear Candace Wyman,
I am writing in response to the decision to close Tellico OHV trail system. First a little background on me. I am from South Carolina and travel with my family to different locations in the South to enjoy the scenery and ride through the back country. I visit Tellico about once a year to spend anywhere from 4 to 7 days vacationing and taking pictures. I usually stay at Crawford’s Campground and buy supplies form the local businesses. Tellico is and has been one of the go to destinations in the South East for many years. The diversity of trails and terrain has been an attraction for many people for many years. Tellico was around as a trail system even before the Forest Service took it over. I think it’s not a lot to ask for an area where we can enjoy our hobby just like others who use the Forrest system. A first step in the process is going to be maintaining the trails. I think you will find that the OHV community as a whole will definitely volunteer there time to help you in this endeavor. If one of the options has to be adopted I would like to see either E or F implemented. I think some better communication between all the groups involved should be implemented and maybe there should be other studies on what impact the fishermen and hikers and bikers have on the water quality too. It seems to me that the EA is skewed and comes across as a study targeted at one select group that provide a great amount of good to the community and the forest. I hope you reconsider your actions as this has had and will have great repercussions to the community and the economy of the community. In these difficult times pushing away a large group of people that spend a large amount of money in the area just does not make a lot of sense.

Back