• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

[Tech Writeup] Replacing the seals on your Dana 30

According to alldata(buddy of mine looked it up for me) for the 181 FBI carrier caps the torque is 45ft/lbs. For the 194 FBI carrier caps the torque is 57ft/lbs... 13ft/lbs is a considerable difference. Among the numbers on the tag on the D30 I found a 194 in sequence w/a bunch of other numbers. I'm assuming it's a 194 FBI. Is this where I would locate the carrier number?

According to alldata(buddy of mine looked it up for me) for the 181 FBI carrier caps the torque is 45ft/lbs. For the 194 FBI carrier caps the torque is 57ft/lbs... 13ft/lbs is a considerable difference. Among the numbers on the tag on the D30 I found a 194 in sequence w/a bunch of other numbers. I'm assuming it's a 194 FBI. Is this where I would locate the carrier number?

There really is little difference in the Dana 30s used on an XJ in any year.
Big changes were the disconnect, axle shafts, and knuckle ends.

My FSM shows only two flavors of FBI (Front Beam Iron), the 181 and 186. Both have the same exact bearing cap specs, 45ftlbs.

The 194 is an RBI (Rear Beam Iron) and is commonly known as a Dana 35.

There really is little difference in the Dana 30s used on an XJ in any year.
Big changes were the disconnect, axle shafts, and knuckle ends.

My FSM shows only two flavors of FBI (Front Beam Iron), the 181 and 186. Both have the same exact bearing cap specs, 45ftlbs.

The 194 is an RBI (Rear Beam Iron) and is commonly known as a Dana 35.
I was just reading that in a spicer catalog. He must've gave me the torque specs for the D35 w/the 57ft/lbs. rating. The 181 is 45 and the 186 is different isn't it? Super 30?

Can you tell me why you had to remove the front driveshaft, It doesnt seem like it would be necessary? Also exactly how do you get the driveshaft off I have never removed one. is there a special tool to get the pins out or what. I love the writeup I am getting ready to do this very soon and this will be a big help.

it comes off easy, its 4 bolts at the tcase side and 4 at the axle. 8mm heads on the bolts IIRC.

if you read through the replies i removed the diveshaft to lube it, i didnt really explain that. we rebuilt the CV joint at the tcase end and greased it up good. i had a squeak that i couldnt find and it ended up being that join in the drive shaft. also, it makes it a bit easier to get the carrier back in, because you can spin the pinion easily to get the teeth on the ring gear to mesh up.

Sorry someone already asked about the driveshaft removal. I am totally new and I am curious how to actually detach the driveshaft. do the pins just push out or pull out or do you need a special tool.

Sorry someone already asked about the driveshaft removal. I am totally new and I am curious how to actually detach the driveshaft. do the pins just push out or pull out or do you need a special tool.

have you looked at it? im not sure what you mean by "pins" there are bolts holding it on that are easily visible, and easy to get to.

OK, so i have the Dana 30 that has the vacuum disconnect on the passenger side. I have replaced the Vaccum unit with a Posi-lock. Will the Axle on that side still just slide out since it is two pieces? What holds the inner part of the axle in place? Is there still just one seal on the inside of that side of the housing by the spider gears or do I have to replace more than one seal on that side of the axle?

OK, so i have the Dana 30 that has the vacuum disconnect on the passenger side. I have replaced the Vaccum unit with a Posi-lock. Will the Axle on that side still just slide out since it is two pieces? What holds the inner part of the axle in place? Is there still just one seal on the inside of that side of the housing by the spider gears or do I have to replace more than one seal on that side of the axle?

Good god man... Johnny used to work in 07???

CIMG3075.jpg

:D

Back