• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TECH TIP: Starter Brush Installation

MiWiAu

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished taking apart my oil-soaked starter for a cleaning and wanted to pass along my suggestion for getting the brush reassembly reinstalled.

There are several half-way decent videos on how to disassemble/reassemble the XJ starter on YouTube, but I wasn't thrilled with the typical method of jaming screwdrivers into the brushes to hold them open (some videos skipped over the install step altogether and just said "reinstall the brushes").

I found that toothpicks worked really well. Being made of wood, they minimize the risk of damaging the back side of the brushes and the small size will prevent indavertant bending of the springs with a large screwdriver. Just push the brush back until you can slide the toothpick into the spring loops and wedge it against the base plate to hold them back.

5c1321680c6cd7509a619de85f597f0f.jpg

I also found it easiest to install the armature first (starter body oriented upright in a vise), then install the brushes over the commutator, then install the end cap. Next, install the screws that secure the brush assembly, then give the cap a light tap with a mallet to ensure everything is seated, and install the long screws to hold it all together.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back