• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team V8

yeh i like it when things get done!

hope to redrill the axle tonight and rebolt it up and get the driveshaft back on and see how it worked out.

here's a question though, i never serviced an auto tranny, where do you fill the ATF at?? in the dip stick tube? or somewhere else?

maybe get my tire back sometime this weekend or early next week so i can remount it.

i plan on working on the wiring this weekend to get things working right.

here's a question though, i never serviced an auto tranny, where do you fill the ATF at?? in the dip stick tube? or somewhere else?

Dipstick tube is the place

The vulcanizer guy has it now, I will probably go get it on Tuesday afternoon. Tom from Toms 4x4 Superstore contracted me out this afternoon for a little work next monday, so It will be tuesday evening before I can go.

well at he latest i need it on wednesday so i can put it back together. so i guess that will work out, at the last minute :-/ i will probably going down to see my dad and get the suburban and trailer wed. night so i can swing by and pick up the tire maybe, i dont know yet. it will all work out one way or another.

btw one of my rear lug nuts were over tightened on my test run and i ended up breaking it off in the axle plate when i switched out the tires in the parking lot. should i be okay to run with 4 bolts safely at the FLOG or should i pull the shaft and replace the lug??? i just didnt feel like taking the diff off to pull the shaft...

okay well last night i didnt do anything but catch up on some shows we missed this week on the TV with the wife.

but today i went to the hardware store and got me some drill bits and some other stuff and redrilled the axle perches and ubolt plates, nearly broke my wrist when the drill went through on the first hole and caught the metal and spun the drill while i was still holding it... needless to say i was more careful on the rest of them...

everything bolted back up nicely, put the driveshaft back on the front and it looks much nicer with some splines showing on the slip at ride hieght, i think it will work out much better this way.

i put a quart of atf in the tranny and took it for a test drive down the street. drove pretty good, though i dont know if its a problem but i dont think i got out of 3rd gear... i thought it had 4 gears but i might not have gotten up to speed.

Karen said it sounded like a hotrod car (like one that Scott might bring home) racing down the road lol, too bad i prolly didnt get over 55 mph if that hehe...

Put the jeep on level ground and check the fluid with the engine running and the trans in park. If its low it wont shift properly.

Oh, and on the stud... you should be able to change it without pulling the shaft. Just knock it out with a punch and a hammer and then use a c clamp to press in a new one. I haven't done an 8.8 this way so im not 100% sure if there is enough room or not. But Either way, you should be fine with just 4 if need be.

Put the jeep on level ground and check the fluid with the engine running and the trans in park. If its low it wont shift properly.

Oh, and on the stud... you should be able to change it without pulling the shaft. Just knock it out with a punch and a hammer and then use a c clamp to press in a new one. I haven't done an 8.8 this way so im not 100% sure if there is enough room or not. But Either way, you should be fine with just 4 if need be.

It will be tight in there with the parking brake componenets behind the flange, if you still have that stuff in there. It's not the best way, but I have installed them successfully using and impact gun and a stack of washers and justing pulling them through the flange, a little at a time.

cool, ill be taking the spare off to grind out the center for fitment on the front axle so ill see if i can push it through without taking it out, i need to get a new one, all the studs i have i think are either for the front, the original d44 or the d30/d35 i used to have... plus i need some ATF before i can double check the level. thanks guys.

i will also be tackling the fan wiring and CB wiring today. the CB i just have to find a switched power source, the old one isnt in use anymore after Tyler rewired the new engine, thats what im thinking anyways. and the fan is just getting the stupid relay plugged with the right wire combo... i think ill wire it up to manually switch as well so i can test out the relay.

i doubt i will get the tach wired up before the trip... but i want to try for it.

had a very productive nap time today,

-got the spare wheel ground out to fit the D44 hubs
-wired the fan up correctly
-got the CB and rock lights working again
-tried getting the wheel lug out but no dice, there is a dust shield preventing it from extracting and i couldnt even get the disc rotor off... dont know why
-raised the radiator on driver side up a bit because it was touching the steering shaft... but now its high enough to touch the hood, so i need to do some clearancing on that side as well.
-picked up some ATF so i can top it off when i can

besides my tire getting remounted on the beadlock wheel i think im pretty set for this upcoming weekend.

well i found out why my rotor wouldnt come off. the parking brake shoes were clamped up on the rotor...

i put some PB blaster around the lugs and center thinking it was rusted up, last night and today at lunch, on my way out i hit it with a dead blow hammer and got it knocked loose. dont know when they extended because i was able to turn the axle around the other day when i first tried... but couldnt turn it today... got it off though, now i can replace the stud, and see why the brake was extended... funny thing is the parking cables arent even hooked up...

picked up my tire last night and mounted it and bolted it down to the beadlock, just need to add some air and ill throw it back on the jeep!

all thats left is to change out the lug stud on the rear corner and put my wheels back on :D and i should be a happy jeeper for alittle while longer

well the golden mtn trip was definitely fun! test trip #2 proved to be a true test and with that comes problems to fix.

new list of things i need to do:
-chromoly front axle shafts with spicer 760's or super joints
-transmission seal
-pop out the dent in the tranny pan (hopefully that will help)
-oil pan got dented
-1 brake hardware kit
-1 brake caliper bracket
-solenoid for winch or upgrade to solid state switch
-wire winch to interior switch (permanent/stationary)
-need a passenger grab bar or handle to hold onto, i was slinging josh and myself all over the place
-maybe need a new tubular style cross member that covers tranny and wont easily move or dent
-fix my driver door hinge (it now pops open when you unlatch it)
-grill guard roll bar (radiator hoop or whatever)

but other than that i think i have a decent setup

oh yeh, add a washer to fix my steering/tierod from rocking
and adjust my throttle pedal for new v8 NOT carb 258... very touchy

found a set of chromoly axles with spicer 760's for $325 at bronco graveyard.com

and my front pass. tire has completely leaked out... not sure why its leaking air... ill have to add some so it doesnt mess up my tire...

also i think i want to make a build thread on pirate4x4 for my wrangler... hopefully my rig is HARDCORE enough for them... heh personally i think its friggin hardcore, everything on it has been tweaked, modified, or fabbed up... its not a drop in lift or anything...

oh yeh, add a washer to fix my steering/tierod from rocking
and adjust my throttle pedal for new v8 NOT carb 258... very touchy

found a set of chromoly axles with spicer 760's for $325 at bronco graveyard.com

and my front pass. tire has completely leaked out... not sure why its leaking air... ill have to add some so it doesnt mess up my tire...

also i think i want to make a build thread on pirate4x4 for my wrangler... hopefully my rig is HARDCORE enough for them... heh personally i think its friggin hardcore, everything on it has been tweaked, modified, or fabbed up... its not a drop in lift or anything...

If you do a build thread be sure to mention I did NOT do the radiator install haha.

haha, yeh it still needs alittle love, and the welds i think are mostly due to the fact that i didnt used a steal bracket but one of those triangle brackets you screw into a wall to hold up lumber and/or shelves... i dont think it was a comparable steal to weld with...

and i have been thinking of better ways to clearance the radiator and protect it at the same time, but that is all i could do with what i had at the time to get ready for the flog.

so i finally got it in the garage to work on it and the tranny doesnt bearly pull... the leak is coming from the tranny... when i opened the tcase fill plug to see if it was low (just checking) it poured out atleast a quart of atf... got it off and there is an obvious leak from the tranny out of a hole in the bottom, the seal seams fine but the output shaft wiggles pretty easily, not sure if its suppose to do that...here is a pic. any help would be great, i started a thread on pirate in the chevy section for it as well...

198050_973288789371_7004831_49416926_1307161_n.jpg

Back