• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

Have any of you looked up the torque spec on a 3/4" grade 8 fine thread bolt lately? I can tell you that I am not big enough to torque that bolt alone - it took two of us.

420ft-lb x 0.85 zinc coating reduction = 357 ft-lb

That's a lot of torques!

a F911 bolt should be enough though lol - they're only rated for 180 ksi...geeze

Have any of you looked up the torque spec on a 3/4" grade 8 fine thread bolt lately? I can tell you that I am not big enough to torque that bolt alone - it took two of us.

you need a longer cheater bar on your torque wrench... I used a 4'pipe on the end of mine and braced the other wrench against the tube...

Hands down the coolest thing we have in this car is the Hooker Harnesses.

2012-01-21_16-40-41_375.jpg

2012-01-21_16-42-52_347.jpg

2012-01-21_16-43-01_71.jpg

Those Hooker Harnesses are totally bad ass. It's physically impossible to get yourself strapped in as tight without the ratcheting mechanism on the Hookers. Much superior to the alternative. I'm VERY happy to be able to run the Hooker Harnesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm doing a very similar build to yours with Warn hubs and WJ knuckles on my 30. I'm gathering brake parts and was wondering what rotors you're using. Did you just get the stock WJ rotors and re-drill them? That's my plan as of right now. I'm trying to get everything together in time to wheel during KOH. You're build has been very helpful. I even ordered the Longfield spindle bushing. I had no idea that existed.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting idea. I'm slightly concerned about the rear D44 ring and pinion in a rock racing situation, however only if we bounce it in the rocks trying to get unstuck or around someone or something. We have 35 spline rear shafts so the shafts aren't an issue. I'm not familiar with breaking gears going through whoops and jumps at speed and how D44's have held up. One element is that we're running more tire pressure than in a normal rock crawling situation, but less pressure than in a normal desert racing situation. I'm not concerned about the front HP44 in the rocks, but question how it might hold up if we ran 4wd in the desert.

It sure would be a good option if we started breaking ring and pinions.

Interesting idea. I'm slightly concerned about the rear D44 ring and pinion in a rock racing situation, however only if we bounce it in the rocks trying to get unstuck or around someone or something. We have 35 spline rear shafts so the shafts aren't an issue. I'm not familiar with breaking gears going through whoops and jumps at speed and how D44's have held up. One element is that we're running more tire pressure than in a normal rock crawling situation, but less pressure than in a normal desert racing situation. I'm not concerned about the front HP44 in the rocks, but question how it might hold up if we ran 4wd in the desert.

It sure would be a good option if we started breaking ring and pinions.

The rear R&P Might be an issue, I am curious as to see how it does, also. Might be perfectly fine...

As for the cover with carrier cap load bolts, I would not even consider that, unless you drilled and tapped the cover bolt holes up to 3/8 (or larger).

This whole experiement of a race for all of us, will be enlightening for many. Does a D44 hold up in the front with smaller Ujoints, or does the Heavier assembly of a D60 kill the speed. Does a D44 rear hold up, the housing and the axle bearings, or does the 14b (or even D60) slow us down. Etc..

So many experiments on so many rigs. Next year will be more set in stone, but this year its all edumacated guess work. But thats the fun/stress of it, right :)

I'm doing a very similar build to yours with Warn hubs and WJ knuckles on my 30. I'm gathering brake parts and was wondering what rotors you're using. Did you just get the stock WJ rotors and re-drill them? That's my plan as of right now. I'm trying to get everything together in time to wheel during KOH. You're build has been very helpful. I even ordered the Longfield spindle bushing. I had no idea that existed.
Thanks!

Nevermind, I called Black Magic and he is looking into options for me.

Love the build! Can't wait to see it on the lakebed in a week and a half :greensmok

Love the build! Can't wait to see it on the lakebed in a week and a half :greensmok

We can't wait to see it on the lake bed next week also.......... :scared:

New drivelines are in, thanks a bunch to Jim Reel at JE Reel Drivelines in Pomona for helping us. JE Reel provided the driveshafts for Team NAXJA in '08 and '09, the shafts are still in the buggy and have had the crap beat out of them, scrapes all over and very little paint left, but no dents anywhere. The brand new spare shafts are still sitting in my trailer box.

New exhaust is in, with a Banks header and Banks muffler, thanks to Gale Banks for providing those parts.

The Jeep is currently in the paint shop getting sprayed Team NAXJA yellow in the front and Petty Cash blue in the back, it should look good. Blue and yellow are also the colors of our sponsors Goodyear, Bilstein, and NAPA, and NAPA provided the paint.

This weekend will be spent putting everything on for good after the paint, and getting the motor running. Nothing like getting down to the wire........

The rear R&P Might be an issue, I am curious as to see how it does, also. Might be perfectly fine...

As for the cover with carrier cap load bolts, I would not even consider that, unless you drilled and tapped the cover bolt holes up to 3/8 (or larger).

This whole experiement of a race for all of us, will be enlightening for many. Does a D44 hold up in the front with smaller Ujoints, or does the Heavier assembly of a D60 kill the speed. Does a D44 rear hold up, the housing and the axle bearings, or does the 14b (or even D60) slow us down. Etc..

So many experiments on so many rigs. Next year will be more set in stone, but this year its all edumacated guess work. But thats the fun/stress of it, right :)

What's the ballpark weight difference between a 44/44 and a 60/14b setup?

What's the ballpark weight difference between a 44/44 and a 60/14b setup?

I WOULD GUESS.. 150lbs front? and 175-200 rear? Just as a guess. I could be way wrong but hard to say.

I do know that my rockJock front has more clearance then a typ D44 and my 14B rear also has better clerance then a D44, so its all the weight as the MAJOR down side...

that thing is insane, really nice work guys. i cant wait to see the finished product, and see the race results.
i wish my heep was even half of that.

If we can find a way to make the WK caliper work, then I can match that up to the thicker WK rotor and open up some options for us to use a shallower rotor to move everything just a bit further away from the knuckle.

While that set-up for Matt, Richard, and Cal will work fine, it was far to much work to be readily copied or recommended for others.

I've got a call into my tech buddy and he's going to match up some caliper brackets for me and see how much trouble we are in.

I WOULD GUESS.. 150lbs front? and 175-200 rear? Just as a guess. I could be way wrong but hard to say.

I do know that my rockJock front has more clearance then a typ D44 and my 14B rear also has better clerance then a D44, so its all the weight as the MAJOR down side...

My front is def heavier than the rear, i was able to move the rear axle by myself, the front wasnt as easy.

Back