• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

Russ and I are discussing a rebuild to a level that would take us off of the 100 octane pump gas to a full race fuel, too, and get rid of the ethanol.

Can you not get ethanol-free fuel? We can back here, albeit only to 93 octane. Never looked for 100, as my chain saw doesn't need it.

Ethanol-free with octane booster?

David Bricker / SYR

Did you pull the injectors to see if the screens were clogged?

What was the temp range on the plugs? It's possible they were too hot of a plug.

Have you had it on the dyno at all and checked over by a tuner?

I would also suspect the way the fuel enters and leaves the fuel rail. A flow through design is ideal for sure. I had actually converted my 99 to a return style system by welding a bung on the back end of my fuel rail. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
I would also suspect the way the fuel enters and leaves the fuel rail. A flow through design is ideal for sure.

Assuming he's using the Renix rail it is a flow through. Fuel enters at #6 and exits at #1.

Assuming he's using the Renix rail it is a flow through. Fuel enters at #6 and exits at #1.

Actually... If this is still the current rail being used, it's not...

IMG_20140614_110402999_zpshscsylgx.jpg

yes its an OBDI rail.

the next rail will be flow through, entering at 1 and leaving at 6. regulator will be somewhere on the return path, where tbd by what regulator we decide on.

first i have to find the energy to pull the engine and send it to russ. ;)

I'd be curious if any of those live Renix monitors hitting the market are worth a damn (and physically tough enough for race car duty). I'd be particularly interested if they not only read live data but logged it with time stamps as well. Telemetry is always a good thing.

Those melted down cylinders definitely scream lean to me. Maybe pull the injectors and check patterns.

I bought one. It works fine with the engine off, when running the display breaks up. Apparently, this happens inconsistently, and the builder has a programming upgrade that I'm too impatient to mess with(Arduino, and all that cool stuff). If I ever get it to work, I'll post up.

I've already been talking to the builder, he wants to borrow my ms1700, and is going to send me one of his units to play with as well. We'll see how it works.

I think the car will get a wide band o2 and fuel pressure gauge with the next overhaul. We went light on the gauges before because we didn't want to spend that much time looking at them, but have thrown a lot of money out because of lean conditions in the last year.

8.3.3 ENGINE
1) Stock engine must be retained, but may be replaced with any available in
make/model/year. Any and all modifications are permitted, with the following
limitations and exceptions: Stock engine-block must be retained, as originally
manufactured (boring, stroking and other internal engine modifications are all
permitted). Forced-induction of all types is not permitted, unless factory-equipped.

Xj's never had a v8 option, so the 6 it is.

Last edited:
yes its an OBDI rail.

the next rail will be flow through, entering at 1 and leaving at 6. regulator will be somewhere on the return path, where tbd by what regulator we decide on.

first i have to find the energy to pull the engine and send it to russ. ;)

That one is kinda a flow through. It goes in one port all the way to the back, then back forward in a inner portion then out.

Damn, this is a sweet thread. Awesome seeing people trying to push more power out of Renix systems,
that's a topic I want to look into more.

I bought one. It works fine with the engine off, when running the display breaks up. Apparently, this happens inconsistently

Sorry to hear Fred, you've got a beta V2 right? I've finally tracked that down to a bad ground path for the screen. It was really tough to figure out but I have fixed that in the V3 units. I have an open recall for v2s to add an extra ground trace to keep the screen from bugging out, free of charge so message me if you like. I also provide AW-4 support through a hardware upgrade for a small fee. Got a video on all the mods too if you were so inclined to do them yourself.

I'd be curious if any of those live Renix monitors hitting the market are worth a damn (and physically tough enough for race car duty). I'd be particularly interested if they not only read live data but logged it with time stamps as well. Telemetry is always a good thing.

I heard of one case where a customer flipped his jeep in an accident and his REM took it like a champ. I can't think of much that would fatigue on these units and would be very curious myself how well they stand up to race abuse.

Data logging is a feature I have been very interested in but haven't been able to incorporate in current hardware. The best I can do for now is send the stream to a computer through USB and have the computer log it. In the V4s I want to add data logging to micro SD.

I'm curious what kind of programs or formats you use to view data so maybe I can add support of them. Being able to watch back old data would be incredibly useful for myself as well so I can tune the software better.

Using a wideband o2 sensor to piggyback and tune the system on the fly is something I would love to get into for my stroker sometime so ideas welcome. The V4 boards will have a digital to analog converter so I could output fake signals to sensors for interesting tuning opportunities.

Let me know what you think!

It looks like starting today, photobucket wants $400 to hotlink images. I already pay them, but I'm not going to pay them that much.

I suppose it won't be long until they go out of business completely and all the links in this thread die.

Back