• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tank straps ; will '97's fit on a '94 XJ ?

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
Needed to take down my tank today.. one strap was rusted and broke, the other one wouldn't budge so i cut the pin.
Now looking on ebay the only international seller only has '97up straps... will they fit my '94 ?

Needed to take down my tank today.. one strap was rusted and broke, the other one wouldn't budge so i cut the pin.
Now looking on ebay the only international seller only has '97up straps... will they fit my '94 ?
No, 97 and up has a plastic tank and they are different size..

Junk Yard??

No, 97 and up has a plastic tank and they are different size..

Junk Yard??
Probably incorrect. I have a 97+ tank on my 96 XJ and it works fine. I don't even remember for sure what the straps came off of, but I think it was one of my old straps and one from the junkyard on the 97 I took the tank off of.

My standard spiel about installing gas tanks: Cut the J-bolts (you already did that, so did I, they are very frustrating) go to funjeepsparts.com and buy new ones for two dollars apiece, the part number is J3240023. You will need two 3/8-16 UNC stainless steel nylon-lock nuts and two stainless steel 3/8 fender washers.

Thanks. I didn't cut the J's tho. I broke one strap straight off the middle (rusted) and cut the small (2" ?) pin that locks the strap in the rear on the other.
So i need atleast one strap..
The search continues, luckily there's no rush..yet.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I couldn't find a way to get my saw in on those pins. The straps - I would say junkyard if you have those in Norway (I read something about them being pretty rare in Europe but then again I am fairly uneducated about automotive stuff in Europe.)

The straps should fit either way, as long as they are from an XJ with the same tank size I think. Make sure you use the rubber sleeves that wrap around the straps.

I'm not sure what you have for regular auto parts stores out there, but around here, Advanced Auto sells generic universal straps that are straight with threaded rod at the end, and you just bend them to shape.

Probably incorrect. I have a 97+ tank on my 96 XJ and it works fine. I don't even remember for sure what the straps came off of, but I think it was one of my old straps and one from the junkyard on the 97 I took the tank off of.

My standard spiel about installing gas tanks: Cut the J-bolts (you already did that, so did I, they are very frustrating) go to funjeepsparts.com and buy new ones for two dollars apiece, the part number is J3240023. You will need two 3/8-16 UNC stainless steel nylon-lock nuts and two stainless steel 3/8 fender washers.
I was just going off my experience trying to fit a 90 skid onto my 97 and that was real fun :(

I was just going off my experience trying to fit a 90 skid onto my 97 and that was real fun :(
:( Yeah I would not want to try that. I am pretty sure the plastic tank takes up the same footprint as the metal tank including the weld seam, maybe a little bigger, so I can see some real headaches getting that shoehorned in.

Yeah, That didnt work too well. The ZJ one I ended up getting worked pretty well.. Still need to modify it to fit with my reciever hitch tho.

anyways sorry to hijack your thread. good luck with your problem OP.

Thanks. What bugs me is i could get the proper straps off ebay for $5 but i'd have to pay about $40 to have them shipped over here, plus the $5 place won't ship overseas.

Guess i'll just bite the bullet and get the insanely overpriced oem stuff over here..

Thanks. What bugs me is i could get the proper straps off ebay for $5 but i'd have to pay about $40 to have them shipped over here, plus the $5 place won't ship overseas.

Guess i'll just bite the bullet and get the insanely overpriced oem stuff over here..

So, why not get an account with the bongo outfit, then have the eBay dude ship to them? Same result. I don't know what the bongo outfit charges, but I would check it out.

Yeah, i think i will. A lot of the chevy guys over here use Jetcarrier for that purpose, seems to work well. Chevys seem to need massive amounts of fresh sheetmetal... :D (i used to have a K5, i know this for a fact)

Back