• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Talk me out of the dark side

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I know, not another one:twak:

Im now starting to think about upgrading my DD '99 which is essentially stock, sans a OME lift.

This includes WJ brakes, steering, and control arms. And I need more power!

Across the street from my work is a '03 Grand Overland. I wouldnt buy that specific one, but it really got me thinking, why not "upgrade" to a Grand Cherokee?

Upsides:
-The 4.7HO has 265 hp and 325 torque. (compared to 195 hp and ~195 torque on the XJ)
-"Upgraded Steering"
-"Upgraded brakes"
-Better ride
-Potentially leather, heated seats with split rear seat

Downsides:
-AWD
-5x5 bolt pattern
-Bigger and heavier
-Potentially more expensive repairs
-Having to purchase a new vehicle

I am currently getting 12 mpg around town and about 17 on the freeway (15 when going snowboarding if Im lucky). I wouldnt mind the horrible mileage if I had the power to back it up, but the I6 meets its match at the mile high altitude. A V8 is just the thing I need. Same mileage with more power.

I would also like to upgrade to better brakes and steering at some point this year, and am eying the WJ swap.

This is another Starboard M pipe dream, but its really starting to look like a brilliant idea!

Talk me out of it guys, or tell me how happy I will be. Anyone done the swap one way or the other? If so, why?

Originally Posted by ECKSJAY
Who are you and why should we care?

Zactly :D

Do what you want man, it's your money. If you want a GC, get a GC. I know someone with a GC, an he likes it. last trail run he ate the lower control arms on mud.

Not as much clearance as many other models with the same lift.

And some random pictures, just because
grand002.jpg

CIMG0052.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

motivator1547165.jpg

Yes, I know the first and last are ZJs.

I had more, put photobucket was being stupid.

The big issues are in the front and back. No-one makes an inexpensive bumper for them. Heck, not many MFG make a bumper for one. The stock "Bumpers" are really just skins over the sub frame. The Radiator goes all the way to the bottom of the bumper (note 1st pix)

If you have mad fab skills, you could probably make a nice sturdy one that will protect everything.

If you go that way, enjoy the project. They look really nice built, an atleast around here, they are cheaper than a regular Cherokee.

Talk to xj-grin... I believe he has a lifted WJ. Iirc he swapped in a 231 and made the speedo work, too.

I wouldn't get the 4.7L though.

No no no... you are asking for trouble.

truth

and the 4.0 is under powered for the WJ

i say stick to the XJ!

IIRC, oiling issues to the rear cylinders, though the only failure I've personally heard of was one of the MWC guys father, I believe the initial failure was likely caused by or accelerated by lack of routine maintenance and the replacement motor was a horrible circus of failure due to a shady shop doing/not doing the machine work on it.

my mom's 4.7 WJ has cracked the drivers side head twice and the valve guides fell out of the head on the passenger side once, it only has 101k on it and has always dealer serviced including the engine repair. it's a v8 but IMO it's not very ballsy, it seems a little underpowered for as much of a pig as the wj is. the full time AWD tcase is a pile of crap, the viscous coupler inside goes bad and the part itself is over 400$. you've also got the D44a to deal with out back, and CV axleshafts up front that like to blow apart if one of the wheels gets bound up at full lock.

I'd stick with the XJ unless you want the WJ as a daily driver. too much work to make a capable wheeler out of them.

my 2¢

I have a 04 SE V8 WJ that I bought new and I love it. I have used and abused that poor Jeep and she just keeps asking for more. The 4.7 HO is nice but running 92 octane gets expensive quick.

There are minor glitches with the WJ platform that will drive you nuts if you buy the wrong one. The Limited and Overland models will more than likely have the HO and all the bells and toys inside. Stay away from them at all costs. They have a ton of electrical problems that the Laredo and Special Edition (made in 02 and 04 only) don't have.

The upper end WJs have heated seat element issues and dual climate control blend door problems. The seat heaters are expensive to replace and will go out again in a short time. The blend door issue can be fixed with a heatertreater.com fix. it is still a PIA to fix.

The V8 WJ uses a 5/45RFE trans and it is stout piece. They put this trans behind the HEMIs and they hold up fine. Don't buy into the hype the D44a is all bad. It is a pretty good rear end as long as you don't put a jack right under the pumpkin to support the ass end. A heavy duty diff cover adds a lot of strength to the diff. The center section is the same one that is used in the Viper and Vette.

The CVs are not that weak, I have popped one once. It was not the Jeeps fault though. I knew better than to bind up a tire and stand on the skinny pedal. There are U-joint conversion axles out there for them.

The biggest issue with the WJ is DW. The designers decided that moving the LCA mounts in-board a few inches would give a better ride. All it did was make them get DW a lot easier on a lifted rig. BDS makes a great short arm lift. LAs are the best way to go to keep DW at bay.

The info about the viscous coupler in the NV247 is incorrect. That was a NV249 thing. The NV247 uses a gerotor to transfer the torque between the front and rear axles. The fluid for them is a dealer only item and is a bit pricey. They will live for 200+ miles is the proper fluid is used and changed as it should be.

If I had it to do all over again I would have still bought my WJ. It has been a really good Jeep. I hope all my rambling sheds some light on your decision.

Last edited:
stroker in the daily driver?

build an engine on the side, and swap it in during 1 weekend?

I would skip the GC and get a Hemi or 4.7L Commander. They get decent mileage, are comfy as hell and wheel really nice(not rock crawlers but can handle most trail situations just fine) most have leather and the aftermarket support is growing.

Here is the ROTM on CommanderForum for this month;

IMAG0284.jpg

I love my Hemi XK, its a 09 that I bought new and I have not had a single issue with it. I tow with it daily.
0524121700.jpg

If you do happen to consider a 4.0 WJ, beware the tranny. It's a cheap POS. Had to replace the 99's at less than 100K.

If you do happen to consider a 4.0 WJ, beware the tranny. It's a cheap POS. Had to replace the 99's at less than 100K.

I agree, the GC's up until 05 had the craptastic Chrysler tranny. Then in 05 the GC and the Commander got the Mercedes tranny, a much better unit.

Back