• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

takin off the doors

StuckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make a replacement door hinge so you can take off the doors of and xj(92 4 door)? Or can I make one/steal one from a donor tj,cj,or,yj and modify it to work? Has anyone done this? Or should I just unbolt and rebolt the doors on and off. Or would this take some serious strength from the unibody? Thanks for any help/ info.
-Steve D

StuckXJ said:
Does anyone make a replacement door hinge so you can take off the doors of and xj(92 4 door)? Or can I make one/steal one from a donor tj,cj,or,yj and modify it to work? Has anyone done this? Or should I just unbolt and rebolt the doors on and off. Or would this take some serious strength from the unibody? Thanks for any help/ info.
-Steve D

You can modify XJ hinges to be removable. Just cut the bottom arm off the door side of both hinges and weld that center pin in place (if it's not already). That's a really simplified tutorial, but there are plenty that go in depth out there.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
You can modify XJ hinges to be removable. Just cut the bottom arm off the door side of both hinges and weld that center pin in place (if it's not already). That's a really simplified tutorial, but there are plenty that go in depth out there.
Billy
Drive out pins(they WILL come out), pull the door hinges, remove the bronze mesh bushings, hone out the holes with a drill bit, take pins to grinder and smooth 'em out till they slide in and out easily, weld small tabs onto pins, put hinges back on doors, and rehang doors. If you have electric, the plugs are just under the kick pannels.

Like they said, you can make it as simple or complex as you want. The only problems I've had are 1) the doors are DAMN heavy (40lbs) 2) the fenders often get in the way off easy removal/install. Since you have a 4door, hopefully your doors will be lighter, and my the only reason my fenders are a problem is because I bashed them bad.

StuckXJ said:
-Steve D
Make a skid for your B and C pillars :D I'm trying to remember who it was that posted a pic (McGuyver?) but whoever it was, he clipped the B pillar on a rock and tweaked it pretty badly :D

Fozzy said:
Like they said, you can make it as simple or complex as you want. The only problems I've had are 1) the doors are DAMN heavy (40lbs) 2) the fenders often get in the way off easy removal/install. Since you have a 4door, hopefully your doors will be lighter, and my the only reason my fenders are a problem is because I bashed them bad.

yeah i know what you mean. the 2dr doors are freaking heavy. i mad a hanger for them. drilled a 6 5in wood screw in to a beem. the door hung for like 30 secon thehn wame they cam down. i then bolted the hanger to the beem. i am ok now. heck i hung on it a few weeks ago. fell over but it held me.

Back