• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailpipe exhaust note and power loss question

slikxj

NAXJA Forum User
So after many tries at finding and still failing the running to rich for California smog, I noticed something new. I have a new magnaflow carb cat BTW. I've noticed that the exhaust note almost sounds like if it did not have a cat, plus it feels very sluggish. New O2, new tps at .83v etc. AX-15 4.0

DO you have a question?

I.E. "Is this Magnaflow cat making me run rich?", or "whats cats will work for CA Smog?"

I will answer what I think you are trying to ask, Any aftermarket CAT in CA is a very tricky business. Any CAT will have to be identified as being CA compliant (if it does not say its 50 state or CA CAT then assume it is not) for you to have a hope of passing. Do a search for your CAT on Magnaflow's site (sometime there are part numbers stamped into the CAT).

What year do you have? some years have additional CATS...if it has a aftermarket exhaust someone might have removed some of the smaller ones up stream...

You may have an exhaust leak On my 95' it does Manifold, to down pipe, to CAT, to Muffler out.

Check the Air intake filter for the low power.

My 2000 has the Cali emissions package and I ran a Magnaflow high flow cat with my other exhaust. My friends would tell me my jeep smelled weird when they were driving behind me. The whole system was welded with no leaks. The tailpipe rusted after one New England winter so I ended up redoing the exhaust with a different muffler and cat. No more weird smell. I bet the Magnaflow has something to do with it. :dunno: I'd also check your air filter to be sure.

Back