• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE on my XJ?

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the forums and could not find an exact answer for my application. My question is will my '93 xj sport need an SYE with a 4-5 inch lift? If so could you list some options as far as brands and the difficulty of doing this in my garage. Thank you.

Maybe, maybe not. Everybody & every jeep is different. Vibes that don't bother you may bug the piss out of someone else. If you do a search for slip yoke eliminator you will probably find a days worth of reading. JIM.

1)Off topic alert
2)Stupid question alert

What is SYE? Ive got an idea its to do with the driveshaft, but I cant find details.

Thanx,
Andrew

Roads said:
I searched the forums and could not find an exact answer for my application. My question is will my '93 xj sport need an SYE with a 4-5 inch lift? If so could you list some options as far as brands and the difficulty of doing this in my garage. Thank you.
I ran 5.5'' of lift in my 98 Cherokee sport, didn't really need one, but then did an 8'' custom lift and I had to use a SYE and readjust the pinion angle.

an sye is short for Slip Yoke Eliminator. Stock np231 transfer cases come with a slip yoke style output shaft. An SYE eliminates the slip yoke and changes it to a CV style joint, and in most cases shortens the length of the output shaft, which makes for a longer driveshaft. A longer driveshaft means less harsh of angles which then means less driveline vibrations

Roads said:
I searched the forums and could not find an exact answer for my application.
That would be because there is no exact answer. As your search should have revealed, pre-96 often can use an SYE at that height while 96+ almost always do. Vibes aren't just an annoyance, they wreak havoc on your output shaft and bearings.

I don't know about you, but I spent too much on a lift and the Jeep itself to wreck components because I was too cheap to buy an SYE.

Thx for your input. It's something I will definatley have to factor in after I install the lift, which I decided to be about 5.5 inches for 33's. Sux that that you have to spend so much on the lift and tires only to shell out another $500 on SYE gear.

Roads said:
Thx for your input. It's something I will definatley have to factor in after I install the lift, which I decided to be about 5.5 inches for 33's. Sux that that you have to spend so much on the lift and tires only to shell out another $500 on SYE gear.

Just wait until you start shelling out for steering, brake and axle upgrades too :viking:

Back