• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaping a low pinion D30

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked through the D30 threads and got the basics, just wondering if there's anything else I haven't read or thought of yet.

2001 XJ, 5.5 RE 6200 lift, 33" MTR's, D30 front, 8.8 rear (soon).

I just picked up a dana 30 out of a 1994 2.5 gas model, has 4.10 gears and it's obviously a HP.

Just wondering, do I need to get the front drive shaft as well? I'm picking up the axle on sunday, I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if it's a Disco or not.

What UJ's does the 94's have? I'll be saving my stock axles and bits.

I'm also going to truss the HP with a piece of DOM and some 1/4 plate.

Any advice?

Thanks

I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you. I have an '01 too and found a D30 from a wrecked '97, I will be picking ip up later this summer and doing the LP to HP swap...

if you are going from LP to HP you might need the driveshaft shortened.i would measure up both at max compression and extension to see if there is a difference

Wil Badger said:
if you are going from LP to HP you might need the driveshaft shortened.i would measure up both at max compression and extension to see if there is a difference

Eh, if you already have a lift (I have 4.5, the other guy has 5.5) I think you will probably make up the difference....

Think so? I've ordered the 5.5 RE 6200 lift, it's not here yet but should be in the next couple of weeks. I'll try it and post my results.

Any thoughts on trussing? I've read about pre/post heating and using a high nickle rod. Just wondering about the design.

My plan is to prior install, clean the axle up and brace all the mounts, skid plate the LCA mounts etc, I was also going to run a piece of .120 wall dom over the top of the axle from UCA mount to UCA mount and then fill in under it to the pumkin with 1/4 plate. Sound about right? Did I miss anything?

OK, after a HELL of a drive I drug the D30 home, gears look great, 4.10's as promised.

OK now the fun begins, there's a bunch of rust on the housing, tubes, and brackets that I'll be cleaning prior to installing, also slap a good primer and paint on it. Is there anything else I should do before installing it? Truss? Bracing? The lower control arms mounts look like there made of frigin TIN FOIL!! What's the best way to brace them??

if you're planning on not swapping out those 4.10's with 4.56 you'll regret it. 4.10's suck immensely with 33's, you will really want those 4.56!

ya didn't notice he had a lift on it .you'll be fine with the front shaft.if anything you'll be better then you were with the LP housing

Back