• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension?

xj bmx

NAXJA Forum User
What are you guys doing to stiffen it up? I'm working on my DD to make it alittle more sporty feeling andmof fun to drive and possibly able to attempt an autox and or rallyx track.

Right now its going to be all on the cheep since my real toy xj gets all the money.

I'm thinking of useing a set of f150 coils and cutting off a coil for the front , and then replacing the second leaf with another main leaf in the rear. Then going with poly bushings all the way around.

For shocks im thinking Rusty's since they are stupid stiff and cheep.

I know the v8 zj front is bigger than some xjs but I haven't measured mine to see if I allready have the bigger bar on mine yet, I also plan on the addco rear swaybar as one of the first few add ons.

If you don't mind a bit of lift then V8 ZJ coils are stiffer than stock XJ ones. Find a beefy leaf under a truck that's close to the arch of your leafs then slap it in for a nice and stiff bastard pack. My friend's XJ running this setup rides like an unloaded dump truck, lol.

My XJ came out of the box with a 28mm anti-sway bar at the front and a 16mm bar at the rear. I eventually replaced all the suspension bushings with polyurethane and the handling improved big time with much reduced body roll. Still have stock springs.
These are the anti-sway bar bushing and end link sets:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-2-5105G/
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/index.htm?stocknumber=KJ05013+RM

and this is the master bushing set:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-2-18105G/

A small bit of lift I wouldn't mind. I thought v8 zj coils gave around 3" tho?

Nope. I got like 3/4" out of mine, but they made it quite a bit firmer. Maybe a brand new set of UC V8 springs gives 3" before they settle.

I also believe that upgrading the control arms and tie rod would even help a stock height vehicle handle better.

Addco sways(rear comes with new endlinks), new front endlinks(or just replace bushings), cut the f150s to desired ride height, Bilsteins.

Addco sways(rear comes with new endlinks)
PHP:
MP3
, new front endlinks(or just replace bushings), cut the f150s to desired ride height, Bilsteins.

So you did f150 coils? How do they feel?

I think ill try all poly first along with shocks since mine are all stock still haha.

I like the stock gas-charged shocks. The damping is quite firm but ride quality is still pretty good, especially when the Jeep is loaded up with gear. To me they strike a good balance between handling and ride quality. If you want more from your shocks, I suggest you buy adjustable units so you can set the stiffness where you want it.

My fronts are -2.5" and 25% stiffer customs from Springworks in Cali. Cheaper and more fun to just chop up f150s to desired height.

My friend's XJ running this setup rides like an unloaded dump truck, lol.

Nice terminology. I think most lifted jeeps ride like that. Though I haven't ridden in one with a decent lift kit yet. I got OME shocks and it still rides like ass so I'm redoing the front suspension to get the arms flat and running some smaller rustys coils. Enough off topic

Nice terminology. I think most lifted jeeps ride like that. Though I haven't ridden in one with a decent lift kit yet. I got OME shocks and it still rides like ass so I'm redoing the front suspension to get the arms flat and running some smaller rustys coils. Enough off topic

Mine's super smooth with my super saggy suspension + LCA drop brackets. I do rock Pro Crap ES3000s though, so with nice shocks I'm sure mine would be that much better. I like my Jeep soft and flexy. :D

what springs do you have?

Currently I have stock packs with an extra main in them (big eye wrapped around small eye) and some unknown 4in coils that came on it. I know they measure to .612" wire diameter while rusty's are .562" and stock is .515" from taking notes. I got tj springs that measure 1/2" so .515" may not be right incase I'm wrong

the rare 2wd, so I can afford to go low(but too low will result in the axle bumping the pan).

Currently I have stock packs with an extra main in them (big eye wrapped around small eye) and some unknown 4in coils that came on it. I know they measure to .612" wire diameter while rusty's are .562" and stock is .515" from taking notes. I got tj springs that measure 1/2" so .515" may not be right incase I'm wrong

Did the extra main add 4" of lift to your rear?

Did the extra main add 4" of lift to your rear?

I have an 8.8 with custom ubolt eliminator perches that add close to 2" with the bigger axle tubes and an unknown brand of shackles. From when I tried the stock pack, the extra main probobly added a good inch since it was sagging so bad. It deffinatley stiffened it up but I think I need more aggresive shocks in the rear, cause it bobs after speed bumps (OME toyota rears) They're real soft compared to the tj front but don't control it like the front or ride any softer.

Back