• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Survey: How strong is your blower motor?

TacticalFats said:
It's also nice to use the two defroster settings without beating unnecessarily on the compressor (and damned evaporator).
It's actually the reverse of what you think, unless your compressor already has a problem it's keeping them alive longer. Without that switch in there a lot of people don't think to run their compressors in the winter, so when summer rolls around they've been dry to long and are locked up. The whole point is to keep the oil circulating in the system.

The blower motor on my '98 is also very strong. My problem is in switching from floor to panel vents to defrost. To make a change, I have to turn the fan down to slowest speed and wait a while for the system to change over from one air outlet to another. On my XJ List of Things To Do is to search the archives and see if there is a "how to" fix that vacuum system.

RenixPower said:
It's actually the reverse of what you think, unless your compressor already has a problem it's keeping them alive longer. Without that switch in there a lot of people don't think to run their compressors in the winter, so when summer rolls around they've been dry to long and are locked up. The whole point is to keep the oil circulating in the system.

I'm aware of this and run the HVAC in 'normal' mode for several minutes every time I get gas to keeps things lubed.

I would think there would be a replacement blower that you can swap in from a different vehicle that is more beefy. I swapped some GM blower in my old YJ and it was lots better, but we had to open up the firewall more to fit the beast. It was not amazing, but it was better. I never tore apart an XJ dash before, but I am thinking you might be able to search for a possible replacement from some other vehicle, and modify the attachment.

My blower motor seems to move air pretty well, but thermal fuses only last a few days, which is an indication of a weak motor. On a side note, I bought my XJ in the winter, after it had set for about a year. We started it up and turned on the heat. The blower made an awful racket, then smoke started pouring out of the dash. Needless to say, we shut it down and investigated. It seems a rodent of some nature had stored a good quantity of dog food in the blower (note: roasting kibble does not smell very nice).

Ha my blower motor is awsome but my heater core is cloged most likely because of the previous owner did not upkeep the antifreez... Now to get new radiator..

Sand-Dog said:
The blower motor on my '98 is also very strong. My problem is in switching from floor to panel vents to defrost. To make a change, I have to turn the fan down to slowest speed and wait a while for the system to change over from one air outlet to another. On my XJ List of Things To Do is to search the archives and see if there is a "how to" fix that vacuum system.

Plus in colder weather the compressor won't even kick on, or it might but turn off right away. I believe the compressor senses the temperature and won't kick on if it is cold enough due to the freon turning into a gas in colder weather....that would hurt the compressor.

So in the winter with defrost on the compressor isn't running very long anyways! Or on bilevel, which is good for using heat with as well.....people would assume the air conditioner would be running all of the time with that setting as well, but it is not the case.

When I turn on my Defrost my AC Compressor kicks on and off in cycles.

Both of my blower motors are very strong. Good heat from both. I actually think my '90 gets better heat than my '91.
The '91's blower was strong enough to chop up the family of mice that made a nest in it. Now if I could only get their pi$$ smell out of the ductwork, think its gonna have to be a summer job so I can rip out the entire heat system.

My 92 XJ, the heater will run you out of the car it gets so hot. I always run it on the slowest speed. I replaced the heater core and blower motor right after I bought it about 2 years ago. Its the first car I've owned that the heater starts warming up within a couple blocks of driving (gotta love it).
It hasn't been over 30 degrees here since before the first of dec, love my heater.

Try spraying lysol in the vents and cowl, just not by the motor. Lysol is flammable so....yeah.

There are other products out there that aren't flammable that work like lysol too. I don't know what they are called however!

id be thinking about weather or not all the air was coming out of where its supposed to (mixture door) or a dirty heater core or evap coil or both i do a/c repair (residential) and dirty coils are the biggest cause of poor airflow

They are located in the same place in the Cherokee though, right? (evap coil is near the heater core?)

Same amount of work to get to each.....Is what I'm guessing?

I had to replace mine due to the fact it would turn on and off at its own will. Now the air seems to be a bit cooler than it should be.

Back