• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super30 with ARB creates slack.

Bichi

NAXJA Forum User
I am having a persistent problem with my D30, I installed a Super30 with an ARB locker and Alloy 4,56 ring and pinion. The problem is that the stress seems to be too high, the force of the pinion on the ring dislocates the differential carrier making the bearing cup/shim assembly press on the seal housing. The first time, the bearing cone broke and the pieces locked the seal housing with the axle and it turned breaking the copper tube. The second time the bearing didn’t break but it created slack and I guess I will need to put more shims, and then again in the future keep adding shims.

The only difference between the manual and what is installed is that there are shims between the seal housing and the master shim and between the master shim and the bearing cup. There are too many shims to put them all between the seal housing and the master shim.

Wow, you need to pull the shafts and take it to someone who knows how to set gears before you destroy something beyond repair. You are well on your way already.

Note to beginners: If you have to look up the definitions of backlash, preload and shim do NOT attempt to install gears yourself without careful supervised guidance from someone with experience and the proper tools.

goodburbon said:
Wow, you need to pull the shafts and take it to someone who knows how to set gears before you destroy something beyond repair. You are well on your way already.

Note to beginners: If you have to look up the definitions of backlash, preload and shim do NOT attempt to install gears yourself without careful supervised guidance from someone with experience and the proper tools.

Thanks for your reply goodburbon, I am not messing with the diffs, I have no idea on how to do that. The people that installed the system have no idea why this is happening. I am sure that there´s a problem with the installation and I am trying to guess what it is, by reading the install manual and looking at the diffrential I am tryning to guess what it is. I just want a guess on what it may be. Any guess?

sounds to me like you might want to find another place to take it too. They've had two chances and not gotten it right.
It's not too terribly hard to setup gears once you know what you need to do, but like GB said, it helps to have someone telling you what to do. That's what I did when I installed my Detroit

Back