• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sun or Moon roofs on Cherokees

JimsXJ said:
I have an aftermarket take off / pop up sunroof on my 97. The frame of the sunroof is designed for the roof ridges. I've had no problems with leaks, except of course when I leave it open, or close some pine needles between the seal and glass. -Jim C
There is a place in Newark, OH that sold these, or something like it. They may still I haven't checked in a few years. They said they have never had one come back for leaks, and they offered a lifetime no leak guarantee.

I don't understand why so many moon and/or sunroofs eventually leak, even from factory installs. It seems that they would grind down the ridges so where the cut out of the glass and seal would sit would be completely flat. Also, it seems they could use some sort of expandable foam product similar to Great Stuff they use around home windows or maybe something a little more flexible and use that to fill in any voids and add more "sealing" strength to their rubber outside seals.

they eventually leak, i believe, is because of body flex. your xj is like a sheetmetal spagetti noodle off-road compared to... say 1/2 steel. that and age. time, sun, & temp will eventually degrade the best plastic or rubber over time.

9 times out of 10 the reason a factory one leaks is because the drain gets clogged up, and then there is no place for the water to go. A good after market unit that is installed properly won't leak. My dad has an old Ford truck that he put a sunroof in. It leaked like a sieve for the longest time. When he decided to finely try to fix it he realized he had the original gasket mashed. Once he replaced the gasket the correct way it never leaked again.

I had an aftermarket sunroof installed into my 2001 XJ and I love it. I did a lot of research on the subject before doing it because there are a lot of people on both sides of this issue. Basically, what I found out is that in aftermarket sunroofs, you get what you pay for. It you buy one of those cheap pop-up sunroofs, it will leak and creak eventually. If you buy a fully electronic sunroof (which I did) it will come with a drainage system that will "prevent" it from leaking (also a lifetime warranty). It will also probably end up creaking, but such is life with most moving parts. A common misconception with inbuilt sunroofs (tilts and opens between roof and headliner) is that they are designed to leak. Pop-up sunroofs (to my knowledge) are not supposed to leak. They operate on the same principle as weather stripping on a door. And just like door stripping, it wears out and eventually leaks. The difference is that they don't have the drainage system, so that water has nowhere to go but on you.

Now, if you offroad on your jeep, you should avoid a sunroof. Many large, aftermarket sunroofs will require modification/removal of the support beam in the roof that goes over the driver's and passanger's head. Since the XJ is a unibody vehicle, it needs these beams to maintain rigidity. If that beam is removed, you will experience increased body flex and, ultimately, damage or destroy your sunroof.

Can a sunroof be installed on an XJ? Absolutely. As long as the sunroof will physically fit into the roof of the vehicle, it can be installed. However, since the roof has raised rails, this installation should really be done by a professional. I should note that inverted rails (IE Honda Element) should not be attempted.

Its a personal decision and the only advice I will give you is to do what YOU want. Don't let others decide how you make your jeep. Not everyone will think 1000 bucks for a sunroof is worth it, and you can get sunroofs for a couple hundred bucks, but they are not of the same quality. Remember, factory option sunroofs on other vehicles (like the grand cherokee) cost 700-1200 bucks.

BTW, I dont think the newer body XJ (97+) had a sunroof as a factory option. In fact, I dont think Jeep had offered a sunroof option in the XJ since the early 90s. The easiest way to tell a factory from an aftermarket sunroof is to look at the edge of the roof around the glass. If the edge is exposed and it is nicely folded and painted, then it is most likely factory. If the edge is covered by a rubber trim/gasket, it is most likely aftermarket. (however, pop-ups may have the gasket from the factory too).

I am not an expert on this subject, this is just what I found out in my research of the subject. I recommend anyone thinking of doing this to visit http://sunroofs.org/.

My jeep is just for off-roading, or getting to somewhere in order to offroad. It's not a daily driver, and sees some rocky territory. I'm going to skip the sunroof idea. I wish there was a way to feel more out-there and not so boxed in. My son wants me to take the doors off, but I don't know if I wanna go that extreme. Thanks so much for all the info. My brother is looking into sunroofs also, so this thread was for both of us to learn from. Thanks!!!

4325.jpg

2344.jpg

213.jpg

2000 sport

Seeps from all around but a lot more if it puddles to one side. Don't know if it leaks at the outside lining, I want to repair it anyway, before it caused bigger problems.

I was thinking of just putting a thin film of heavy marine grease to seal the glass.

I also wheel it sometimes and people have cautioned of chassis flex and damaging it. I'd not really worried about it though.

Maybe someone knows some fixes, someone mentioned rhinolining the outside trim?

I might try to remove the rust and bondo it up, but I don't know where a replacment outer trim would come from. I'm also worried about even doing the job right.

It's not THAT much of a problem, just a little annoyance.

Combatcm said:
4325.jpg

2344.jpg

213.jpg

2000 sport

Seeps from all around but a lot more if it puddles to one side. Don't know if it leaks at the outside lining, I want to repair it anyway, before it caused bigger problems.

I was thinking of just putting a thin film of heavy marine grease to seal the glass.

I also wheel it sometimes and people have cautioned of chassis flex and damaging it. I'd not really worried about it though.

Maybe someone knows some fixes, someone mentioned rhinolining the outside trim?

I might try to remove the rust and bondo it up, but I don't know where a replacment outer trim would come from. I'm also worried about even doing the job right.

It's not THAT much of a problem, just a little annoyance.

Is that a factory sunroof? I have a '91 and the seal and trim looks just like that. Mine was leaking but sealed it with silicon. I would like to replace the seals but the dealer quoted me over $250 for the seal. I wish I knew of an aftermarket seal to get.

canadian_xj said:
Is that a factory sunroof? I have a '91 and the seal and trim looks just like that. Mine was leaking but sealed it with silicon. I would like to replace the seals but the dealer quoted me over $250 for the seal. I wish I knew of an aftermarket seal to get.

Yeah, it's the factory.

The outer seal is going to cost 250? I'd rather just keep throwing silicone in there.

The only thing I'm worried about is in a few years when the sh*t gets completely rotted out

Combatcm said:
Yeah, it's the factory.

The outer seal is going to cost 250? I'd rather just keep throwing silicone in there.

The only thing I'm worried about is in a few years when the sh*t gets completely rotted out

That's $250 in Canadian dollars and a Canadian stealership. It is prob a lot cheaper in the good ole U.S. of A. Us northern folk seem to get really screwed in the rear when it comes to parts.

At first they quoted me over a g for the whole thing. Damn bastards!!

Back