• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions for Yosemite region

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be back in the are May 8-18th for my sons wedding and have the first part of the week to do some site seeing/exploring. My wife and I will be flying into Reno on the 8th. We'll be renting a mini van in Reno and will have that the whole time. My son lives in Carson City but we will probably only be spending Friday night there. We'll have Saturday through Wednesday to travel. We need to be back in Carson City Wed afternoon/evening. Since I've never been to Yosemite and I have been to Lake Tahoe, I thought I should head south and spend the time seeing Yosemite. However, I've noticed that the main road through the park and one that I would have traveled from the east through to the west is most likely still going to be closed due to snow during my time there. So, keeping this in mind as well as possibly other closures, do you guys have any suggestions for us? I'll also need places to sleep for the night. I had thought of camping in the van a night or two, but I don't know if I can get the wife interested in that. :) Anxiously awaiting your input, Jeff

For Yosemite, there are lots of hotels and B&B's in Oakhurst, Mariposa and Bass Lake, there is lodging in the park itself Awanee Village. I would suggest the BlackHorse Inn in Oakhurst. Camping would also be available, nighttime temps should be 30-40 by then, too cold for me but I figure Balmy for you. As for a route to get there, IF the pass is still closed you will have to go around to the north I80, I advise checking on the passes when you get to Carson City. Roads in the Park and over the Mountains open anytime between April and June, depending on snow. Since we have not had much snow this year I expect roads to open on the early end of the period. I know that most of the snow in Sequoia Park is gone below 5000', Yosemite should be close to the same.

Jeff, I'd check out going south on Hwy 49 through the gold country, you'll drive through some interesting towns, some have camp grounds and all have motels and B&B's, and go to Yosemite that way. That would be a great sightseeing trip. If you get lucky and Tioga Pass is open by then (highly unlikely), you can make a loop out of it.

Oh, and make reservations to stay in Yosemite as soon as you possibly can.......if you can still get some. It's worth it to stay in the valley.

You should be able to head south out of Carson City on 395, then take 88 W over the mountains. 88 is open year round, so unless it is snowing when you plan to drive through, it will be open. Take 88 to 49 south to 120 east which will get you to Yosemite Valley. It should be 5 or so hours out of Carson I would guess.

88 is a pretty drive, and, like Goatman said, 49 will lead you through some interesting old mining towns.

Thanks for the inf. guys. I'm finding out that I started looking into this about 2 years too late! All motels in the valley are booked and from what I found, I probably couldn't have afforded a stay in one of them anyway! I did find a couple tent cabins available at Curry Village and a camp unit at Houskeeping Camp which is a three sided concrete structure with a canvas roof and front and a bed in it. Basically camping in a provided tent for both options. I also found a campsite or two available at Hodgdon Meadow campground. All the campgrounds in the valley are reserved. I believe the Wawona campground in the southern area is closed during that time due to construction? The other campgrounds will still be closed due to snow. I did a little looking at nearby establishments like the Yosemite Bug and found a few options nearby. Keep the suggestions coming. Are there any specific hikes or things we should be sure to not miss? Jeff

Nothing wrong with Curry Camp, we've stayed in tent cabins there. Nice sized nearly permanent tent with a bed and wash basin, and bathrooms/showers near by. We did the same thing a couple years ago at Edison Lake. I'd book a tent cabin right away, as soon as you have you dates worked out. It's worth it to stay in the valley if you can.

Curry Camp is a great option.

Many camp sites in the Valley are available 6 months out and can be reserved by internet. I tried in January to get a spot in June... and within 1 minute every spot in the Valley floor was reserved. I didn't get one, with two computers set up trying.

There is one campground there that is non-reservable, and is available on a first come first service basis. Not good for me becuase I will be travelling with kids, but if you're flexible, it might be worth a try.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camp4.htm

Yet another option, if you are willing to hike, is to get back country permit. With one, you are allowed to stay at the backpackers campground on the Valley floor the day before you start your hike and the day after you finish. Limited number of permits can be had on a first-come-first-serve basis. Get there EARLY (people start lining up a couple hours before the ranger station opens), and I think the way it works is you get them for entry into the backcountry the next day. So, with that, you could camp one night in the backpacker's campgorund, hike a short hike for a night or two, and then hike back to the backpacker campground on your way out.

Not ideal, but if you like hiking, can be a good way to do it.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

You might even be able to get a permit now for a less popular destination.

I stayed at the Lodge at Yosemite Falls last March. Pretty basic place but beautiful scenery being right there in the valley

For a short hike, I would recommend Mirror Lake:
2907445737_247fe8ab99.jpg

The drive up to Glacier Point is absolutely worth the time. If you are up for a strenuous hike, the trail up to Nevada Fall is beautiful. Then, of course, there is the climb up Half-Dome, if it's open (usually late May). I don't think you need a permit for that one. The duration for that completely depends on your fitness level, and can range from 2 days to one very long day. This site has pretty good information.

Feel free to ask more questions. There are quite a few of us in the area - I'm only 1.75 hours away from the valley floor.

Thanks for the input. We leave in less than a week. Our itinerary is as follows:

Friday - fly in, attend a Reno Aces baseball game with my son, his fiance and my parents, then stay at the Days Inn in Carson City.

Saturday - spend the day with the 'rents and "kids" perhaps staying in South Lake Tahoe. We don't have anything reserved, but it appears that there will be many options there and we'll choose one once there.

Sunday - Drive towards Yosemite on 88/49 staying in Angels Camp or Sonora probably. Again, I didn't make specific reservations, but we'll see how the day goes and where we end up.

Monday - explore Calaveras Big Trees State park and the area around there before driving down to Yosemite where I've got a tent cabin for the night.

Tuesday - hike and explore in the valley and spend a second night in the tent cabin.

Wed. - pack up and drive back to Carson City either through the park, across 108, across 4 or back up 88 depending on whether those roads are open or not. We don't have a reservation there yet either, but don't suspect it'll be a problem to get a room someplace in town when we get there.

Thu. - Prepare for the wedding and transport stuff up to Virginia City where we will be staying at St. Mary's for the next three nights.

Fri. - Wedding in afternoon at Pipers Opera House, reception at St. Mary's, evening entertainment back at Pipers or another establishment in town.

Sat. - do fun stuff around Virginia City.

Sun. - clean up and hopefully explore Lake Tahoe a bit with other relatives coming out for the wedding. I don't have a place reserved for this night either, but we'll probably end up back in Carson City for the evening.

Mon. - return the van, fly to Minneapolis, drive four hours home.

I think it should be fun without being too taxing. Jeff

Back