• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden Overheating Problem

GSequoia said:
One thing about the clutch. I was just informed that a lot of the clutches sold by the usual auto parts stores have an issue. There are tabs taht extend forward from the clutch that are too long, they can eat your radiator. So look around and get the one with the most clearance you can find. Alternatively (if you're feeling like dropping some money) you can get one from the dealer and it will drop right in. Another alternative is to modify the new fan clutch's tabs by grinding them a bit.

I jsut got one from AutoZone for my '92, and the only issue I had was that the spacing between the front of the clutch and the rad is a bit shorter than the OEM type (which is made by Delco/Harrison, by the way). Thus, to put in the AutoZone clutch, I had to tilt the rad forward about 1/4 inch, to get the clutch past the mounting studs. Once installed, clearance was no problem--about 1 inch to the rad.

Re: bottle and cap?

truckeejeeper said:
When you guys are talking about the plastic bottle and cap, are you talking about the one you put the coolant in- with the markings? I've never replaced my cap ever, but I dont see how it could ever hold pressure since it has a a litte vent in the side right below the cap? whats up with the aluminum bottle?

Different bottle, Mate. You have a '91 with the "open" cooling system. Your radiator has a cap. The non-HO years have a radiator with no cap, and a plastic expansion tank on the firewall with a plastic pressure cap. That's the one we're discussing.

I ordered my clutch from a catalog that claims to specalize in Jeep stuff so I think I'llbe ok.

Ethan

well, I just put a new bottle and cap and it holds pressure untill I turn off the truck and the coolant starts to come to the top and just a little coolant comes out.After it sits 10 min or so the coolant goes back down. Why ? All the cooling system parts are new.Help!

i've been having a very simlar problem with my 95xj. I just replaced the clutch fan.(which needed done) and the problem persists much as Tonyg's. Sitting at a light heats up. Drivin cools off. does a 95 have a bottle like he replaced? cuz my next step is to flush the system. just have yet to get around do it.

Unfortunately, I've got the one that supposedly too long- an Imperial brand. It did go in, you just had to be careful. The real danger is scarring up your radiator getting it in. Once in there is sufficient clearance. Boy there is a lot more fan noise. Sometimes it drowns out the engine entirely. I know its pushing more air and I have no cooling issue now. If your cap is bad- you will see coolant on the bottle and you will have a loss of coolant. If you don't have these symptoms-the bottle is not the problem. When the cap goes-its probably the rubber gasket. I have gotten new ones that were no good- I plan to get the moroso tank as soon as it works its way to the top of the list.

Back