• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SUBS!

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
im looking at getting a sub to fit in the back of my xj. i don't want to tak up to much space so i was thinking about a truck box with a 10" sub but i can settle for some thing else. here's what im trying to say without all the long drawn out specch. i need a sub and amp for under $300. if possible one that won't draw much attention from peopl that look inside. i will go for most brand but i will not get a sub from target (sadly they do sell them there. but by all means they don't sell headlights) i have a dual deck. i am not sure of the model i know it folds down. i can get the model name and # on request. if you can help that would be great.

also, i have seen the sub that some one on here has that is consealed in his spare mount. i don't want that. as genius as that is it just not som thing i want to get into.

I just got an 8'' sub tubed with internal 200watt amp. Sounds better than it did without it, especially without doors doing 70mph. I got it from a seller on ebAy for $50 with shipping. But it all depends on how loud you want?

I got a wal-mart 12" sub box, mounted my sub in that and attached the amp to the back of the box. Ran all the wiring from amp to sub as short as possible. Ran the power wires using all quick disconnects. Total package is around 14"-16" wide give or take, removes in a min or 2. Got it sitting next to the spare pushed back against the seat. Unobtrusive, but nice when ya want to open the rear hatch and play some tunes.

I built a fiberglass box to fit a 10 in the cubby hole, worked alright, but i suck at carpentry so it leaked.
other than the leak it was cool and no space lost

I have a 10" kicker l7 running off of a zr1000, wasnt to worried about space since the rack on top. also used it to carry/conceal second battery and oba as well as a few other little things. pm me if you want some pics!

I have a 10" DVC Bazooka and Sony 200w (RMS) amp that I am giong to mount under the passenger seat. I got a steal on ebay...$150 shipped and both units new in box!

I had an 8" 50w amplified Bazooka in my 96 XJ with 5.25 components in the doors and sounded quite good for an 8 and no crossover.

The 8 didn't take up all that much room. Plus you can put stuff on top of it, in front or wherever and not worry about damaging the sub and/or amp.

If the sub is facing the rear seat or if facing the rear, you could put a grille over the sub to protect it. Doesn't matter if the box is sealed or ported, it's just the type of box.

i made mine fit so that the front of the box is flush with the rear sit and the depth of the box goes into the area where the seat angles. then i just put the amp in the middles. all in all, i only lost about 4 inches from the top of the rear seat into the trunk area. i can snap some pics for u tmm if ur interested.

I want to say 2years ago it was something like $35 for the box, then like $150 for a 400W and $25 for a 12" 525 Jensen Sub. But this was stuff on clearance, so really only the box price is matchable. Check around, lots of middle of the road stuff you can get and drop into these boxes. I will try for pics possibly tomorrow.

Keep in mind that our vehicles tend to have a lot of junk in them, going over some very agressive terrain, or plain stupid spots. Sucks to have expensive stereo equipment lost like that. I build mine cheap cause I had it in a wrangler, so even if I lost it all, I wasn't out that much.

Edit: Remember to try and keep all components the same brand, matching ohms gives the best performance.

I'm running two MA Audio 10" subs in a sealed box. The face is at the same angle as the back of the rear seat and it's the same height as my toolbox, so when it's covered I can push it right against the back of the seat and you can't even tell it's got subs in it. I've got them running off of an MA Audio monoblock subwoofer amp with the subs wired in parallel, and it says it's rated for 1600 watts max. I can't remember what the RMS is right now. It sounds great and has more power than I even use. I got the box, subs, and amp as a package deal for $300. Since I was reusing my old wiring I had that already and I sold my old set up for about $150, so I was only out about $150 out of pocket.

foxwar71 said:
i made mine fit so that the front of the box is flush with the rear sit and the depth of the box goes into the area where the seat angles. then i just put the amp in the middles. all in all, i only lost about 4 inches from the top of the rear seat into the trunk area. i can snap some pics for u tmm if ur interested.

Eactly what I did, I have to tie mine down though, it tips over if I accelerate quickly.

all great ideas. the other reson why i wanted a sealed box is for sound quality. it has a different sound that i like. another question. did you guys wire it yourself? i also don't want to pay $50 for beset buy to install it. they installed my friends sub and hooked the back speakers up to the sub and they blew within an hour. so if any one can find a write or has a write up on this that would be great!

Thanks for all the posts!

THANK YOU!!!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR. I HAVE NOT HAD THAT MUCH INFORMATION BEFORE!!! I EVEN FOUND THE SUB I WILL BE BUYING. I WILL BE ORDERING IT WITH MY NEXT PAYCHECK. AGAIN......

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Gnat5680 said:
THANK YOU!!!!!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR. I HAVE NOT HAD THAT MUCH INFORMATION BEFORE!!! I EVEN FOUND THE SUB I WILL BE BUYING. I WILL BE ORDERING IT WITH MY NEXT PAYCHECK. AGAIN......

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Anytime! :wave1:

Back