• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck in sand

frankrizzo

NAXJA Forum User
I asked this a while ago but no one seemed to know so I'll ask again. 99 xj 4.0, aw4, 231tc. I went up to silver Lake sand dunes last year wherei got stuck in the sand. The weird thing is after min of being stuck the Jeep wouldn't rev past 2000 rpm and the wheels wouldn't spin. Eventually I got pulled out by my buddy and everything went back to normal. Never overheated or anything. Trans fluid was good too. Jumped on the highway and drove just fine. Any thoughts on what happened?

It was probably saving itself :D

I assume it's an automatic. Maybe the brakes locked up? 2000 is about stall on the converter.

-Ron

^^^ exactly. If you had shifted into 4lo, it would have changed the gearing enough so the tires would spin....

and bury you. :viking:

I haven't done a lot of wheelin in the sand but from the few times I've driven on the beach I've learned that sand is some seriously power robbing stuff. It's pretty crazy how that works.

Next time you go into the sand put it into the fulltime 4wd setting, Most of the time your on the sand you dont need to be in 4wd, usually only when getting going. The fulltime 4wd works like an on demand system.

Sand is pretty much the only wheeling I do...we duck hunt in the salt marsh and access is by some scary soft beach sand, usually about 12-15 miles down the beach.
Here is what I have learned:
1) Always carry a tow strap, bucket and shovel. You can usually find someone to pull you out, but they never have a tow strap it seems.
2) If your forward momentum stops..you are stuck. period. Rocking back and forth never works. Stop what you are doing, and do whatever is necessary to get out. Which usually involves digging ALL the sand from underneath the vehicle so that your undercarriage clears and then dig a ramp in front of your vehicle to drive out. of. Use your bucket to get water to pack the sand down.
3) Deflating your tires to 15psi radically increases your sand abilities, but is hard on your sidewalls.

Hope this helps. BTW, the above was for worst case scenario with no one to pull you out.

Next time you go into the sand put it into the fulltime 4wd setting, Most of the time your on the sand you dont need to be in 4wd, usually only when getting going. The fulltime 4wd works like an on demand system.
he doesnt have a full-time setting on his t/case.
i'm thinking the brakes might have been bound up with sand. taking all 4 wheels off the ground doesnt limit anything, if the belly is on the sand you should be able to spin them at 80mph if there isn't an obstruction.
possibly the exhaust outlet was buried restricting the flow, but not likely to happen in sand.

Back