• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stronger aftermarket 29spline 8.25 shafts

Info I found on the Yukon Axleshafts I have:

They are made from 1541h steel alloy & heat treated ... 20 to 25% stronger than O.E. 1050 steel

hope that helps ya

Willboy

I highly doubt you will have any problems with 35s, especially if your not locked, if your locked that puts the weakest ling to your shafts as opposed to the carrier, and/or spider gears. I got a detroit in mine with 456s and run it hard, even in 2wd sometimes just to see what I can get up or through, thats why I started this thread to see what my options are for upgrading shafts since my 37s should be arriving shortly! What do yall think? Is the Ole` 8.25 goin to hold up to 37s with upgraded shafts??!!

37's are going to put a lot of stress on the axle bearings.

If it's trail only rig, great. If it's going on the highway, use caution.

CRASh

So how do yall feel about 35s locked on a 29 spline with alloys?

Actually, I was planning on some trxus MTs 34x12.5 ... but I'd still like to hear thoughts on 35s:D

That combo will work like a champ, I wouldn't worry too much at all, especially if your not in the rocks.

I carry spare shafts, and I run 31 spline stuff. Throw in a set of spare stockers to get you home, and you're golden.

CRASH

CRASH

So now u think my exle bearing is what I should be worried out with 37s. not my shafts? What about aftermarket exle bearings?

Well, heres the thing about those bearings. I talked this over with Dutchman a couple years back. They feel like 35's or 36's are about the limit on C-clip axle bearings, except for some of the larger 3/4 ton semi-float Ford and Chevy axles (10.25, 9.5, small 14 bolt).

They feel that you will see premature wear because of the bowing that the axle undergoes under extreme loads, basically bending the axle under load and ruining the berarings in the process.

Not saying it can't be done, but when a C-clip style non-tapered roller goes out, it WILL take out the surface of the shaft with it. The shaft material rides on the axle in these applications.

CRASH

CRASH said:
That combo will work like a champ, I wouldn't worry too much at all, especially if your not in the rocks.

I carry spare shafts, and I run 31 spline stuff. Throw in a set of spare stockers to get you home, and you're golden.

CRASH

Nope, no rocks down here .... just gooey sticky stuff. Though I'd like to make it up to hot springs one day, probably won't do it before I have a new drivetrain so.....

Thanks again for the info.

So would the bowing on the axles be worsened by wider tires? Like say I wanted to run a 33x14.5 (something I also consider doing) on less backspaced wheels. I'd imagine they'd add leverage to the shaft & wear bearing... .aside from the extra weight.

I know there are no exact figures for all this, but you seem fairly knowledgable so I'd like to hear what you & others think.

In the end I know I'll end up with the 34s .... but I'm an info junkie:D

Back