• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker VS. Gears

4.10s are a just a tad high for 33 inch tires. 4.56s are a little low. 4.88s are way too low for 33s unless the vehicle is for offroad only. highway driving all you will do is wind up your rpms. i would do the gears over the stroker. i had a friend put 4.56s in his jeep on 33s... rpms ran a little high. i would run 4.10s if i were you. if you plan on going bigger then put the 4.56s in it.

My xj has the aw4, 4.56's, and 32's. 2500rpm @65 mph.

It's slightly over geared and awesome. 4th gear/od kicks in at 35 mph, and will take me all the way past legal highway speeds.

It's the most fun at 75 mph, cause 3,100 rpm is a sweet spot for torque. :)

for a standard 4:10 is best for 33's and 4:56 for 35's, while in an auto 4:10 for 31's, 4:56 for 33's and 4:88's for 35's. Much numerically higher such as 5:13, and the pinon is getting to small and risks breakings. IMHO

for a standard 4:10 is best for 33's and 4:56 for 35's, while in an auto 4:10 for 31's, 4:56 for 33's and 4:88's for 35's. Much numerically higher such as 5:13, and the pinon is getting to small and risks breakings. IMHO

You should drive rigs with deeper gearing around for a while, you'll find that your advice is less favourable.

Also, to get 5.13 gears, you have to install a dana 44 up front (or bigger) and the pinion is not a problem.

gears. i found on my Comanche with 33's an ax15 4.10s were perfect.with my Cherokee with an AW4 with 33's and 4.10's were not enough. i went to 4.56.just right.the stroker sounds good but get the rig geared right first.

GEARS first!!! 1 week on my new 4.88's. I wish I had done this several years ago!!! Power, gas milage, who would have thought!!! Oh fyi 33", and auto. Getting ready to put the new speedo gear (41) in this weekend. It will make you notice/address any drive line vibrations, if you have any at all they will really show up once the shafts are spinning really fast. But very worth the money and time!!!!

Mutt

Good to know about the Vibes... this almost should be stickied.. i could see where lots of people would as about this. Really, the two options cost about the same... and the stroker sure does sound cool..ya know

me.. i plan to do both:) but gears first

I ran 3.07's and 31's for a bit on a stock motor, then dropped in a stroker. While power was better, drivability did not change at all. It was actually a bit disappointing. When I went to 4.56's and 33's it was night and day. Overall gears were the best improvement I've done to my jeep as far as street manners are concerned. City driving is fun again.
I vote gears now stroker later. As for what ratio, that's your choice, just do some research and look at real world numbers. My tires actually measure 31.75", at 75mph, Im turning like 2990 in 5th. I regularly get 18mpg driving up to the mountains in Colorado (mileage taken from gps), and Im a fan of the skinny pedal. I was getting less than 16 with smaller tires and 3.07's.

'99 2dr 4.6 ax-15 np231 d30wjswap/ 8.8lsd 4.56 4.5"longarm 33x12.5

look at superior axle & gears chart and see what they reccomend. the will show 3 different ratios one for fuel economy, one for stock ratios, and one for power. its all a preference. im on 32s with 4.10 and its perfect. but 33's are right between 4.10 and 4.56 according to any gear chart i have seen.

look at superior axle & gears chart and see what they reccomend. the will show 3 different ratios one for fuel economy, one for stock ratios, and one for power. its all a preference. im on 32s with 4.10 and its perfect. but 33's are right between 4.10 and 4.56 according to any gear chart i have seen.

Does that chart account for overdrive transmissions? Most of them do not..

I'm glad I started with the gears. I've been having V8 fever for a long time but with the gears it kinda calms that down a little....ok very little. Would still love have a V8.

I'm glad I started with the gears. I've been having V8 fever for a long time but with the gears it kinda calms that down a little....ok very little. Would still love have a V8.
at 12mpg with 4.56 gears and 35s.. I kind of wish i had a 4 banger:pig:

^^^ get a 4.0!!!

Back